From the British Dragoons to Household Cavalry by Peter Suciu

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Doing some Internet research today on British Cavalry helmets, I came across this great article titled Helmet History: From the British Dragoons to Household Cavalry. It’s very informative and I thought to myself that this author writes like Peter. Then I scrolled up and saw that it was written by Peter Suciu. Hilarious!

A very helpful article. Thank you Peter.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/r...oons-household-cavalry-186277#google_vignette

Tony,

If you don’t already have it, I highly recommend David Rowe’s 2004 book, ‘Hemets of the British Heavy Cavalry’. Published by Schiffer and there are quite a few copies around, generally for about 50 GBP. Loads of information and fabulous photographs.

He also produced ‘Head Dress of the British Lancers 1816 - to the present’. Again, lots of information and great photographs.

Patrick

Patrick

Doing some Internet research today on British Cavalry helmets, I came across this great article titled Helmet History: From the British Dragoons to Household Cavalry. It’s very informative and I thought to myself that this author writes like Peter. Then I scrolled up and saw that it was written by Peter Suciu. Hilarious!

A very helpful article. Thank you Peter.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/r...oons-household-cavalry-186277#google_vignette
Thank you for the kudos Tony. I do like those helmets (and uniforms). Household Cavalry.jpg

Peter that is impressive. Stunning. Could you explain what that is please.

Patrick I will search for those books. Until recently I knew less than nothing about English Cavalry helmets.
Tony,

Sorrry, should be ‘Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry’. Don’t know how I messed that up!

I have eight heavy cavalry helmets. I’m by no means an expert, but am happy to help with any advice. Drop me a pm any time. It would be a bit of pay back for all the times I’ve used the ‘Bunker’!

Patrick

Peter that is impressive. Stunning. Could you explain what that is please.

Patrick I will search for those books. Until recently I knew less than nothing about English Cavalry helmets.
First, BRITISH cavalry helmets. You don't want to upset the Scots, Welsh and Irish!

This is a British Life Guards other ranks uniform. The Lifeguards are one of the two current Household Cavalry regiments, the other being the Blues and Royals. This is still the current uniform, and if you visit London (except in August) you'll see these troops at Horse Guards and near palace. (In August, the Household Cavalry is rotated out for R&R, and the Royal Horse Artillery typically fills in).

Even in the 21st century the British do pomp and circumstance like no other!

Back