Gallipoli Treasure

Lost Skeleton

On this day of remembrance, I would like to pay tribute, with my “latest find,” to one of the many unsung heroes of the First World War, William Henry Cook. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you much about Cook, or his deeds. What little I know comes from a bit of silver and a few scraps of paper. The paper consists of two pages from the London Gazette and two sheets of a Royal Naval Reserve service record. The silver is a Distinguished Service Medal, instituted 14 October 1914, and awarded to petty officers and ratings of the Royal Navy, NCOs and other ranks of the Royal Marines and all other persons holding corresponding ranks or positions in the naval forces, for acts of bravery in face of the enemy not sufficiently meritorious to make them eligible for the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal. In the British gallantry awards system for the Royal Navy, the DSM was preceded only by the CGM (awarded 110 times during the war) and the Victoria Cross (awarded just 107 times to the Navy since 1856). During the First World War, the DSM was awarded 4100 times.

WHCookDSM.jpg

William Henry Cook was born in Cardiff, Glamorgan on 12 September 1876. He enrolled for service in the Royal Naval Reserve on 10 May 1915 at Barry, entering in HMS Vivid (née Cambrian, Astraea Class Second Class Protected Cruiser) with the rate of Trimmer. Cook further served in HMS Europa (Diadem Class First Class Protected Cruiser) from 31 July 1915, HMS St. George (Edgar Class First Class Protected Cruiser) from 1 January 1916 (when advanced to Leading Trimmer), Vivid (again) 17 April 1917, and HMT Dreel Castle (Trawler) 30 June 1917 until demobilized on 5 February 1919.

Cook was awarded his DSM in recognition of services rendered by Petty Officers and men of the Eastern Mediterranean Squadron between the time of landing in the Gallipoli Peninsula in April, 1915, and the evacuation in December, 1915 – January, 1916:-- (London Gazette 5 May 1916).

PICT0348.jpg

PICT0347.jpg

PICT0346.jpg

There you have it; the sketchy details of a professional seaman who went to war at the age of thirty-eight and distinguished himself at Gallipoli ninety years ago.

Very cool and very rare Chas! Have you found out what a "Trimmer" did in the RN? One always wonders why the family would part with these bravery medals. However, it has a good home now. Excellent!! Brian

Great bit of history Chas, Hey Brian, I too wondered how people could sell their family's history so easly, but I would bet that in a little time, Chas will know more about W H Cook than any of his living family knew or even cared to know. It has found a good home.
Best wishes
gus

Hi Brian and Gus:

A trimmer would be charged with arranging cargo, ballast, and fuel in a ship's hold (adjusting the forward and after drafts by changing the distribution of weight on board). It's not exactly dangerous work; therefore, Cook's role in the landings and/or evacuation must have been more consequential.

Only two Conspicuous Gallantry Medals were awarded for Gallipoli Operations. The citations make for interesting reading, and shed some light on what "lesser" acts of bravery might be required to receive the DSM:

Stoker, First Class, Arthur James Ade, O.N. K.14283.
His picket boat was struck by a shrapnel
shell on 9th August, 1915, and the steam-
pipe perforated. Stoker Ade—though the
engine-room was full of steam—went down,
shut off steam and brought up the leading
Stoker, who was severely wounded and
scalded.

Chief Petty Officer Henry Hill, O.N. 173927.
On 25th April, 1915, this Petty Officer
whilst at the wheel during the landing opera-
tions at Anzac, under heavy fire, was struck
in the mouth by a bullet, which removed all
his front teeth. He was taken below, and
after washing out his mouth he insisted on
returning to his duty at the wheel, where he
remained during the landing trips of 25th
and 26th April, on both days under fire.

In total, 158 Distinguished Service Medals were awarded for the Gallipoli Campaign. Six DCMs were conferred to Trimmers and one to a Leading Trimmer. These seven men were all enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserve. From a collecting standpoint, 1 of 158 is an odds against propostion. I consider myself very fortunate to have landed this.

Cook's service records confirm he was eligible for the 1915 Star, War and Victory Medals. It's amazing, and sad, how many times these groups were broken up by either the recipient or his heirs for nothing more than the scrap value of the metal. The silver British War Medal was worth a few loaves of bread to many a hungry pensioner.

Finally, I have been following this interesting discussion regarding HMT Dreel Castle (Cook's final vessel):

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=an&p=topics.Military.uk.rn&m=167

I hope William Cook is not displeased with my stewardship of his medal.

Chas.

Hi Joe:

I know Brit and Commonwealth medals are something of a stretch for this forum, but they "speak" in ways an Iron Cross can't. Likewise, medal collectors frequently encounter fakes and forgeries, and the lessons learned from these apply to other genres of collecting where metal, sand casting, lost wax, and electroforming are involved. Unless I know the seller, I will buy nothing at a show unless I can view it at 10x magnification.

The anscestry.com thread has taken me off topic in fascinating ways (unless the link loads the expanded thread, be sure to View replies listed by: Thread (expanded)).

The family legend of the Dreel Castle being involved in some action whereby casualties resulted, set me to searching. As a minesweeper, Dreel Castle patrolled Area XIV, Falmouth (Cornwall).

http://www.motorlaunchpatrol.net/history/auxiliary_patrol_areas.php

Although, I was unable to find a direct incident involving the Castle, two of her crew, Angus MacPhail and William MacLeod, where victims of this disaster after demobilization:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/iolaire.html

http://www.culturehebrides.com/heritage/iolaire/

I know MacLeod was drowned, and even located a photograph of him:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Ablokland/William+Macleod.jpg

http://modmusic.bravehost.com/IolaireSHS.htm

It's a good thing Cook was a Welshman. Had he been a Scot, he might have found himself on the Iolaire that night.

It's amazing the breadth of free information available on the Internet. Perhaps a relation of William Cook will read these words someday, and learn from a complete stranger something about the family hero.

Chas.

In lieu of being "enshined" by a family member, I can't think of a better gift for the steward of this award than to give the long forgotten awardee his existance and story back.

Dave

Again nice Piece Chas . Interesting to see he served on a diadem class destroyer ,those are what Canada bought in 1910 #1 was the Rainbow and #2 was the Niobe .My Grand Father served of Halifax on the Niobe .
There is a site that cover's ships that Canada used for her Naval service since 1910 .
Cook being Welsh would have had fun with speaking 2 languages .
Nice research and medal . Sad to see groups broken up and alot of them ,as you mentioned were sold by the veteran's in need of money.
Mark

Back