"galvano" replica Wappens

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Hi guys. Does anyone own a "galvano" replica Wappen? I don't think I have ever seen one, and would like very much to arm myself with some good large photos of the front and back of a "galvano" replica Wappen.

And can someone explain how they are made?

You can see some at http://www.kammerbulle.de/eHelmzierInf.htm sold by der Kammerbulle, but I would rather not drop that much $ just to look at one. They look to be frighteningly good copies?

Tony,

I have a Garde Star Tschako plate from Kamerbulle to fill out a M1860 Garde Train Tschako until I could find a genuine plate. I will post some photos. I think we had discussed this previously. As you observed, very high quality. I do not know if this is 'galvano'.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I assume that someone has bought a Kamerbulle Wappen as a temp stand in. I'll keep my eyes open for an original Tschako Garde Wappen for you.

The Kammerbulle plates are excellent from the front, but the reverse of the plates will generally have tiny nodules or bubbles. The attaching devices are plated over, too; no reassuring solder from the Kaiser's time will be seen. The edges also may bear polishing/grinding marks not generally seen on originals, especially original private purchase-quality parts.

Copper plates that've been silvered without first having a nickel layer applied will eventually show a reddish hue ("red plague") not seen on originals.

Colonel J has an article on the galvano plates, too...
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Fakes.htm
The replica skull shown there was made from a mold taken from the original skull.

I can try to photograph the back of a Wurtt. officer galvano next to a real one if you're interested.

Regards,
Brad

pointystuff said:
I can try to photograph the back of a Wurtt. officer galvano next to a real one if you're interested.

Yes please! No need to do it side-by-side with an original, got those here. But I would really like to see some close-ups of critical details.

Hi Tony,

Some elements:

Poor repro if looking at the back

and now better repros:
on the top, repro from Kammerbulle, below a genuine Off plate

better view of the Kammerbull repro skull:

monfort said:
on the top, repro from Kammerbulle, below a genuine Off plate //better view of the Kammerbull repro skull:

Merci Eric,

Could you possibly send me the full-size photos of the front and back to my email? The Totenkopf is not the correct shape with poor detial and that is easy to spot, but the eagle Wappen, I am not that I would be able to tell? Is the detail poor on the back? Or....?

Tony & Kaiser said:
Could you possibly send me the full-size photos of the front and back to my email?

And Eric did. And I can see now what Brad was describing; poor detail to the reverse, bubbles, very thick, modern thread on the bolts and nuts etc etc. So, I feel much better now, these things had me very concerned. Thanks Eric and Brad.

Back