Garde Dragoner M95 Reworked to Bavarian M15

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
A customer helmet sent to have the visors re stitched. The shell tells the story of how a damaged M95 Garde Dragoner helmet was repurposed into an M 15 Bavarian. These photos also show how period repairs were done.
IMG_1765-S.jpg

The original brass grommets have been removed and leather plugs glued in. The wide spacing of these filled in holes indicates a Garde wappen.
IMG_1764-S.jpg

There are 4 plugged holes in the top which indicate a cruciform spike base.
IMG_1763-S.jpg

The plugs are backed with glued leather squares cut from a helmet liner. Usually in my experience, they are circular patches but not in this case.
IMG_1752-X3.jpg

The original. ink regimental markings have been removed. The rim of the shell shows evidence of a partial row of M95 finer stitching. The original Dragoner visors were removed and infantry visors put on in the m15 stitch style which has a wider spacing between the stitch holes
IMG_1768-XL.jpg

Visors back on showing the typical coarser M15 stitching. This helmet was purchased without it's wappen. There was some discussion as to whether Saxon or Bavarian. You can see the imprint of the Bavarian scroll in the shell finish. This piece was also an American vet bring back. Written in pencil on the shell "Roy G Upton 28 Co 20 Eng. A.E.F.

Unfortunately, the front visor trim is gone, I may have a replacement but as I have said before, finding a piece that fits is a total crap shoot. The owner recently scored an M15 wappen off eBay. I have the rear spine but the middle split brad is gone and the end screw post. I will make a new split pin and solder it into the original position. I made this post to show how M 95’s had their brass fittings removed, were converted to M15 configuration and repaired.

Brian,
Thank you for the tutorial on the period repair and reissue of a pickelhaube. It is interesting to see the leather backing of the plugs. In West Berlin many years ago, a friend showed me a Prussian pickelhaube rebuild where holes were filled with a leather plug and left as is. However, on that pickelhaube, you could not identify the plugs from the outside and barely noticeable inside because of how the individual filled the outside and lacquered the helmet. The leather on the inside was well-matched and sanded down to match the inside.
It is interesting to see how repairs were done in the period.
John

A customer helmet sent to have the visors re stitched. The shell tells the story of how a damaged M95 Garde Dragoner helmet was repurposed into an M 15 Bavarian. These photos also show how period repairs were done.
IMG_1765-S.jpg

The original brass grommets have been removed and leather plugs glued in. The wide spacing of these filled in holes indicates a Garde wappen.
IMG_1764-S.jpg

IMG_1763-S.jpg

The plugs are backed with glued leather squares cut from a helmet liner. Usually in my experience, they are circular patches but not in this case.
IMG_1752-X3.jpg

The original. ink regimental markings have been removed. The rim of the shell shows evidence of a partial row of M95 finer stitching. The original Dragoner visors were removed and infantry visors put on in the m15 stitch style which has a wider spacing between the stitch holes
IMG_1768-XL.jpg

Visors back on showing the typical coarser M15 stitching. This helmet was purchased without it's wappen. There was some discussion as to whether Saxon or Bavarian. You can see the imprint of the Bavarian scroll in the shell finish. This piece was also an American vet bring back. Written in pencil on the shell "Roy G Upton 28 Co 20 Eng. A.E.F.
Brian
Here is your veteran who brought the helmet home in June 1919
Name:Roy G Upton
Departure Date:23 Jun 1919
Departure Place:Brest, France
Arrival Date:1919
Address:Box 723
Residence Place:Brookfield Illinois
Spouse: Ruth Upton
Ship:Rhode Island
Military Unit:28 CO 20TH ENGRS
Service Number:431033
Notes:28 COMPANY 20TH ENGINEERS (FORESTRY)
U.S., Army Transport Service Arriving Passenger Lists, Roy G Upton Incoming Woonsocket 23 Jun ...jpg

Brian,
You are welcome. I really enjoy researching veterans, service. It is always interesting to glimpse into the past and learn about individuals, their units, and service.
Best regards,
John

An
IMG_1765-S.jpg

IMG_1764-S.jpg

IMG_1763-S.jpg

IMG_1752-X3.jpg

IMG_1768-XL.jpg

An interesting reworked item, Brian. It might also have been originally a Chevau-Leger or Artillery Bavarian helmet, especially one with the older plate model that was quite large, and might have left the prints seen on the shell. I was a little surprised that helmets be recycled from the Prussian Garde to the Bavarian army, but perhaps I am wrong and this did happen...

Back