Garde Kürassier Regiment Helmet

I think the helmet looks great, but I have a somewhat unrelated question:
When was the top eagle authorized for wear on these helmets?
I believe that the lion on top of Saxon Garde Regiments was authorized in 1876, but when was the Prussian Garde authorized to wear the eagle?

John :?

SkipperJohn said:
I believe that the lion on top of Saxon Garde Regiments was authorized in 1876, but when was the Prussian Garde authorized to wear the eagle?

much earlier back in the 1840s, as in the Russian army under Nicholas 1

Sergei1877 said:
SkipperJohn said:

much earlier back in the 1840s, as in the Russian army under Nicholas 1

Yes indeed, in 1843, but the lion was only adopted in 1907.

You are not the only one. I didn't try it, but in the Help section here there are other members having the same problem.

SHmU7kD7Qz.JPG

gardehusar said:
//
No idea what these gray washers with copper do. Looks like riveted ..//
My experience has been that grey washers underneath the four domed 'faux' screw posts typical on originals. They are not actual screw posts, so they are riveted on to look like screw posts.

Marvelous photo of the two helmets together.

dbh25e.jpg

This is my experience also. I have one eagle with this feature, I have owned others and and examined others with the same. I have never seen a helmet where the screw set on an eagle base actually goes through the four holes on the helmet top for the spike set. Personally I imagine it may have been a feature on earlier helmets, then the faux bolts added to later helmets to keep the same appearance. I have also wondered if an eagle set may have been on a helmet where it actually was bolted to a helmet, when the eagle was re-called and put in store as spare, maybe the blanks were added and the simpler main center bolt added as a kind "one size fits all" remedy.

Truce1914 said:
This is my experience also. I have one eagle with this feature, I have owned others and and examined others with the same. I have never seen a helmet where the screw set on an eagle base actually goes through the four holes on the helmet top for the spike set. Personally I imagine it may have been a feature on earlier helmets, then the faux bolts added to later helmets to keep the same appearance. I have also wondered if an eagle set may have been on a helmet where it actually was bolted to a helmet, when the eagle was re-called and put in store as spare, maybe the blanks were added and the simpler main center bolt added as a kind "one size fits all" remedy.

You are correct. Initially all eagles were affixed with the four screws. Later on they switched to the large central screw. Existing eagles were revamped and to hide the four holes in eagle bases they used these faux bolt heads. Eventually, eagle bases were built without the four holes and only the big central screw.

The seller of the helmet is a really expert [-X good hobbyist, if you look at the very imaginative masks he sells. Who buys scrap like that?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-WK-Maske-der-Stostruppsoldaten-Deutsches-Kaiserreich-helm-helmet-casque-ww1/372868684624?hash=item56d0b49b50:g:UzYAAOSw9-ld7Q6a

some here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/ww1-German-Trench-Club-Grabenkeule-spiked-helmet-pickelhaube-casque/372882333907?hash=item56d184e0d3:g:GzkAAOSwH9Jd97wD

Please sho me an original picture WW1 that shows thinks like that... in the most other forum of militaria everybody nows is nonsens...

Some very imaginative pieces have been created for the collecting market in recent years.I have seen similar "armour"and chain mail for adding to Pickelhaube's also. Whoever is making those clubs has flooded the market with them. I find them easy to spot from original examples from the shape of the handle which is too bulbous in places, and always bleached white from its fake aging process, probably salt water.

Back