Garde M 15 Tschako

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some fotos of my M15 Garde OR's Tschako. I bought it off Ebay years ago and it obviously was a bond helmet. The feldzeichen, Reichs kokarde and strap had to be found after purchase. Size is 56 cm and Maker Alexander Dahl, 1915.

A close up of the feldzeichen again showing how the originals were hand stitched.

That strap is a beauty and so is the feldzeichen. They perfectly match the Shako =D>

Still need to find me a couple of M15 chinstraps myself :(

I'm seeing plenty of glossy Guard Shakos although mine--also a War Bond helmet--is matt color :-k

Thanks R, B and K, it is a nice clean example of an M15 Garde Tschako. Funny, I know where I bought the helmet but I have no clue as to where I found the missing parts. Old age strikes again!

I would really like to find an M95 with brass fittings, even a non Garde shako. You just do not see them here at the shows. There were See Battalion at the SOS with brass fittings but no M95's.

b.loree said:
I would really like to find an M95 with brass fittings, even a non Garde shako. You just do not see them here at the shows. There were See Battalion at the SOS with brass fittings but no M95's.

I never really thought of that, but you're right. I have two M15's with the Prussian eagle and one Garde.

:D Ron

Yes Ron, I of course, do not know the situation in EU but in all my years of collecting here in CN and of course going to US Shows, the brass fitted OR's shako remains elusive. Tony has them, I will have to ask where they were bought, I suspect probably from EU. I did have a silver Garde private purchase tschako at one time but that came from EU as well and was sold out of necessity. Stepping back as a collector of 20+ years, I would say that there was a massive wave of M15 "Bond Helmets" after the war and thus we see every week on Ebay...M15 Kurassier and JzP helmets, Tschapkas, Tschakos and M15 pickelhauben.....Garde, Bavarian, Prussian, Baden. It is always those 3 with a few exceptions. They are in "survivor condition" depending on how they were treated in my experience. My tschako was treated well so its in decent condition.

As for the brass M95 and pre M95 helmets, in my opinion, some were brought back direct by WW 1 vets, some by WW 2 vets, some by immigrants, some by theatrical prop companies and others by dealers who had connections in EU or went there and brought them back to sell. If a dealer has a collector or group of collectors, ie a "market" then he will naturally use his connections to provide helmets for his collectors.
This is a good thing, providing he is honest about the helmets that he provides and has reasonable prices....that is what makes for a good dealer. Its really the ABC's of business, not rocket science and we all know who the good dealers are as a result of their business ethic. I am a teacher not a businessman but I do have some experience with business and sales because I watch and learn. That is the best protection for the consumer or collector...." watch and learn before you buy". So we have this forum which is basically a watch and learn experience, my fellow members...... The ABC's of collecting Boys!

At last a true confession! I always knew it....that darn chair, a chick magnet and women swarming you at the SOS! Its got gigolo written all over it. :lol:

https://www.weitze.net/militaria/18/Preussen_Tschako_fuer_einen_Einjaehrig_Freiwilligen_im_Garde_Jaeger_Bataillon_bzw_Garde_Schuetzen_Bataillon__214018.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Größe 60
:eek:
https://www.weitze.net/militaria/21/Preussen_Tschako_fuer_Mannschaften_im_Westfaelischen_Jaeger_Bataillon_Nr_7__250821.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Ron....way beyond my present finances. My Garde was as good as that one...... condition and liner wise but did not have the bulbous garde stern. The chin strap with leather sliders was identical though. Tony has it now.

Back