Garde Ostasien? M15 brass

This is hmmm.....interesting, 6243168825. 'Nice' stamp and custom chinstrap fitting, the like of which I never saw before.

Looks like an original helmet to me (and a nice one too) with a hokey modern chinstrap setup. I wouldn't doubt that the stamp is original too, maybe the "O" is a blurred "G".
Steve

This is not an Ostasien Korps mark. It is just the classic KBAG (Kriegsbekleidungsamt Garde) mark. This is a 1915 garde helmet with fittings sadly repainted gold by some malevolent amateur... not to mention the extra chinstrap! Au secours!!!

I thought gold paint maybe as its very 'matt' looking, but someones taken off the M15 spike then, cos this looks like it unscrews - looking through the hole in the crown. Bizarr-oh.

The fittings look like brass all the way to me. Aside from the correct spike, how about the prongs on the spike base studs? I've seen plenty of brass trim helmets dated 1915 over the years. Steve

On my monitor the guard star looks to be white metal that is very dirty. I think what makes the brass fittings look "flat" is that they may have coated with clear lacquer. Additionally, the spike is not an M15 with bayonet type mount. From the view through the inside of the helmet the interior of the spike and base are typical of pre M15 brass versions.

Reservist1

reservist1 said:
On my monitor the guard star looks to be white metal that is very dirty. I think what makes the brass fittings look "flat" is that they may have coated with clear lacquer. Additionally, the spike is not an M15 with bayonet type mount..

This is what I saw as well, a nice little M95 helmet ruined by having holes smashed through the sides probably for theatrical use, or so some kids could play with it. A shame, as I have a beautiful Garde Grenadier M95 Waffenrock and am looking for this exact helmet. The flaking finish though, would have prevented me from bidding regardless. :sad7:

Back