General Leichtenstern's Pickelhaube

Steve Nick

I purchased this helmet probably twenty years ago from a collector in North Bay, Ont. Who claimed he purchased it from a Royal Canadian Legion post that had fallen on hard times due to declining membership. How the helmet wound up in Northern Ontario is beyond me.

About six months after I acquired the helmet, I was poking around looking for any markings and discovered tucked inside the liner a telegram addressed to a Major-General Leichtenstern with his address at Nicolaiplatz 1, Munich on it as well. The message is pretty trivial which is probably why he chose to use the telegram as bumper material. It reads “I have just received the message that Carola is coming tomorrow so Annas are not needed thank you very much.” There were also fragments of a Munich newspaper dated Thursday January 4th, 1917 also used to adjust the fit of his helmet.

Major-General Karl Leichtenstern was the Officer Commanding of the 10th Royal Bavarian Infantry Brigade from 1899 to 1902. He retired from service on May 11th, 1902 and passed away in Munich on November 30th, 1924.

The parade plumes are modern replacements as for some reason when I purchased the helmet many years ago the parade plumes that came with the helmet were ones that were made for use with the Bavarian General officers Fore and Aft hat Model 1873 which if I recall correctly, were worn up until 1902. Consequently, they are too short and don’t fit on the trichter.

What I know about Major-General Leichtenstern, was provided by the now retired Curator of the Royal Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt. It seems the General was not mobilized during WW1 as he had been retired for twelve years and was likely considered too out of date for active service. It seems he still participated in some elements of army life in Munich as he updated his helmet to accommodate the new pattern front-plate introduced in 1914.

This helmet is the centre piece of my Pickelhaube collection. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• DSC_1469 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1469 Re-Sized.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC_1468 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1468 Re-Sized.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC_1466 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1466 Re-Sized.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 641
  • DSC_1463 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1463 Re-Sized.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC_1461Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1461Re-Sized.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 642
Reactions: ccj
Balance of photos.

Attachments

• DSC_1477 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1477 Re-Sized.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC_1476 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1476 Re-Sized.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC_1474 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1474 Re-Sized.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC_1472 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1472 Re-Sized.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 631
  • DSC_1471 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1471 Re-Sized.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 631
Ha! North Bay, Ontario, who would have ever thought of that? However, I did buy a Garde Officer helmet out of Kincardine Ontario where my parents lived for 30 years. I never in my wildest dreams would have come up with that one either. Congratulations that is a beautiful piece. :thumb up:

911car said:
This is indeed a superb helmet in every respect, especially with just the spike.
I agree with Bruno. Superb helmet in original configuration with the spike. The replica feathers would be useful for dusting it.

I am in love with this helmet, great story and the condition is awesome.

Thanks for showing this to us Steve!

James

Thanks for all the positive comments folks! The only thing that could make it better would be a photo of General Leichtenstern.

I love items that have a story. And...yes the parade plume isn't original but the helmet came with the trichter so why not use it for display?

When people see my collection they see a couple of dozen helmets with spikes on them and they look pretty much the same to them, but when they see the helmet with the parade plumes they ask "so what's the story with this one?" which usually leads to a more in-depth conversation than we would otherwise have had.

I see my collection as more than just a self-indulgence because I like this stuff; to a lesser degree (OK, considerably lesser) it also provides an opportunity to educate people in the history of the period. That's why all the items that "made the cut" when I downsized were the items that had a story to tell.

Steve Nick said:
//The only thing that could make it better would be a photo of General Leichtenstern. //
One of those could come along Steve.

What I love about this helmet (in addition to it being stunning) is the provenance, being the story behind how you came to it. As you know I did a 1/3 cull and then a 1/3 cull again. It’s hard to do, but it certainly makes a more manageable collection of quality items vice quantity.

Tony:

Downsizing your collection on the basis of relative quality couldn't have been easy when the majority of items were top quality to start with.

My criteria was move all the items that are fairly commonplace and don't have a story to tell. The rationale being that should the items have to be sold they will sell because they are either hard to find or the provenance of the item will make it easy to move.

An example being a C.E.F. trio with an MID which it could be argued isn't particularly rare, but when you understand that the trio belonged to the R.S.M. of the 8th Battalion who was KIA during the gas attack at 2nd Ypres. and the MID was a gallantry award (because the Military medal didn't exist at that point) then I expect it will be an easy sell.

A beautiful helmet! I just did a small search, and found this image of Karl Leichtenstern.

I hope this helps you a bit in your search of his picture to accompany your very nice helmet.

Greetings, Coert. :)

Attachments

• 1258154804_LEICHTENSTERN-GeneralmajorKarlLeichtensternCommanderofthe10.Infanterie-Brigade.thum...jpg
    1258154804_LEICHTENSTERN-GeneralmajorKarlLeichtensternCommanderofthe10.Infanterie-Brigade.thum...jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 518
By the way, I also include the link where I found that picture of General Leichtenstern.
https://gmic.co.uk/topic/74925-karl-leichtenstern-b-1847-generalmajor/
It might help you.

Greetings, Coert. :)

Coert:

This is FANTASTIC!!!

It's apparent I wasn't looking in the right places.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. Can't thank you enough. Finally having a face to go with the helmet is just the last piece of the story and makes it so much more personal.

If I can return the favour someday, just ask.

Cheers:

Steve

Back