General Marwitz's helmet?

Another fantastic helmet, look at the size of that spike. Hmmm...I wonder if the General had small hands and drove a large Mercedes????
I would also like to point out the difference between the Prussian generals' crimped spike top and the Bavarian officer which is also crimped with cruciform base. Look closely at where the spike top meets the neck of the spike base there is No Over Lap on the Prussian generals' helme whereas the Bavarian officer spike goes over (encloses) the top of the neck.
This is one sure way of telling whether you have a true Prussian Generals helme!! My thanks to Randy Trawnik for educating me on this point years ago when I first purchased my Prussian General helme. Brian

Hi Brian,

I dont really understand, could you pls describe the differences using pics, perhaps?

Thanks and cheers,
BB

Brian,
This is a very key point that you are describing and would justify a few pictures to drive home your point. I have seen many a "General's" helmet that was no more than a Prussian officers helmet with a Bavarian spike. Bill

The general officer spike sits on top of the base. The Bavarian and Mecklenburg fit over the base. I have sent Joe some images to illustrate. Note that the only difference between a general officer helmet and a 2nd garde dragoon is the spike. It is the squared visor that sets these garde helmets off. I was offered fake generals spikes about a decade ago. These were machined solid castings as opposed to the hollow formed authentic ones. If I had not had several real ones for comparison, I could have been fooled. These spikes can be used to turn a garde dragoon into a generals helmet.

Ron

Back