German Camouflage Stahlhelm M1916 with Totenkopf

My rule is that if it is in Latvia it is a fake. I don't like to write off an entire country, but as far as I can tell the whole place is a cesspool of criminals, hackers, fakers and liars when it comes to eBay.

I can't say everyone in Latvia is a faker, but the ones who sell things on ebay sure are. I wouldn't buy anything from Latvia either. No matter what it is. Some of their fakes are very sophisticated. You probably have a better chance of getting the real thing from India.
Steve

ebeeby said:
My rule is that if it is in Latvia it is a fake. I don't like to write off an entire country, but as far as I can tell the whole place is a cesspool of criminals, hackers, fakers and liars when it comes to eBay.

Agreed :D

Regards,

Edwin

Latvia is a red flag to me. Just like anything from the Czech Republic. I'm sure there is good stuff there but there is just too much bad stuff.

With the freedom of movement in the euro add Britain,France,Germany etc to that list. There are sellers based in the UK who are repeat offenders, I can normally tell by the way they grammatically write the description. I bought my cammo from the u.s.a. and was happy to pay the import duty for peace of mind. I know you get fakes everywhere but it narrowed the odds. Very interesting points you make Stahlhelm thanks.

All what is in Latvia is not fake, but it is mostly restored, like the firt helmet.
The seller said:" It has been restored to a Freikorps Skull Helmet." so there are no doubt.
The Shell is good, the rest is good restored but not original.

Ja, it was too good looking.. :)

Blinker, no such statement as to "restored with Friecorps skull" was made in the discription of this helmet. John

Guys, the link I first posted is not showing the same helmet anymore hence all the confusion.

The helmet I was questioning is the same as bought/posted by John (JTD).

And Hans (Stahlhelm) is right: It is definitely a fake and this seller (Bod Doer if my memory isn't failing me), regardless of his location (Latvia), sells German fake hats (mostly WW2) and not just steel helmets.

Ron, this sellers first name was Aleksandres. I have taken the opinions and remarks of you, Alder, and Stalhelm as collectors with a good knowledge, and I thank you all. As I said, I took a gamble and may have gotten burned. One thing to mention is there are traces of green paint still under the camo, but chips and scratches do look pretty uniform as Stalhelm stated. The rivits are round end, but have also seen a few on so called "good" helmets here and in books on steel helmets. I am sure their are very crafty people out there that make convincing fakes, and this may very well be one of them, but I am still not 100% sold on the idea it is. It will be getting a hands on by several collectors next week, and will most likely be going to SOS next year to be looked over by anyone that wishes. Again, I am learning (a new collector), and came here to get good opinions, and got them. I now have a better idea of the red flags to watch out for.
Thanks, John

I hear you John. We all went through that.

Out of curiosity, have you tried checking that white paint (skull + grenades) under a UV/black light?

No Ron, do not have one. I have been meaning to get one, and that would be a good reason to do so. I will let you know once I do.

ebeeby said:
ottodog8 said:
I can't say everyone in Latvia is a faker, but the ones who sell things on ebay sure are. I wouldn't buy anything from Latvia either. No matter what it is. Some of their fakes are very sophisticated. You probably have a better chance of getting the real thing from India.
Steve

I'm afraid I make wrong choise to collect 1ww items.. :| Or I have to change my location if it needs to sell or trade something...

A lesson for us all...I only have 2, bought decades ago. I will post some pics shortly. Hopefully, they are ok.

In the last month, 2 very advanced collectors had their hands on this helmet. Both thought it was good, and one offered me trade of about $1200 in items I was purchasing off him in trade for it on the spot. May be I should have traded, as that was doubling my investment. I am possitive the two that looked this over really know what they are looking at. Both are long time WWI German collectors. I also told both that it was declared a fake on this forum before they made their evaluation. It did not sway their opinions. Anyhow, whatever it is, it looks great on the shelf...............

John

I stand by my opinion that this is a made-to-deceive fake and would add that, as such, it is an example of the lower end of the spectrum in terms of the quality that is achieved by fakers. I shudder to think of what some of the stuff in their collections looks like if they both liked this helmet in-hand.

Mr. Stahlhelm, my intention of the post was not to say you are wrong in your assessment, and I am sorry if it was taken that way. Your time taken to give input was appreciated on my end. John

JTD said:
Mr. Stahlhelm, my intention of the post was not to say you are wrong in your assessment, and I am sorry if it was taken that way. Your time taken to give input was appreciated on my end. John
No worries, no offence was taken and there's absolutely nothing to apologize for.
Hans

Back