German Cavalry in Poland Dec 1914

cptbob

Old news photo. Inscription on the back says it is taken near Petrikan, Poland on Dec 18, 1914. Inscription says they are Uhlans which is incorrect. They appear to have metal helms so either Curassiers or Jaeger zu Pferd. You can see a couple guys sitting in a car on the side of the road in the background.
ww1_small.jpg

Old news photo. Inscription on the back says it is taken near Petrikan, Poland on Dec 18, 1914. Inscription says they are Uhlans which is incorrect. They appear to have metal helms so either Curassiers or Jaeger zu Pferd. You can see a couple guys sitting in a car on the side of the road in the background.
View attachment 15488
The Polish name is Petrykany, and the Lithuanian name is Petrikony. According to the 1921 census, 20 people lived here, all of whom were Roman Catholics. At the same time, 19 residents declared themselves to be of Polish nationality, and 1 of Lithuanian nationality. There were 4 residential buildings. I am sending photos of maps and composition of the 8th army,unfortunately in Polish.A piece of history congratulations!

Attachments

• Masurian_Lakes_Sep1914.jpg
    Masurian_Lakes_Sep1914.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 800px-Bitwa_na_jeziorach_Mazurskich_9_IX-12_IX_1914.jpg
    800px-Bitwa_na_jeziorach_Mazurskich_9_IX-12_IX_1914.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1920px-Bitwa_na_jeziorach_Mazurskich_3_IX_1914.jpg
    1920px-Bitwa_na_jeziorach_Mazurskich_3_IX_1914.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 7
I can see at least one Dragoner helmet. The 4th man from the right.
I see both. I agree with you, because the visor of the guy you mentioned seems to be squared. But the guy near middle-left, who stands with the back to the ditch, seems to wear a lobster helmet.

Back