German Grenades WW 1

lyndon wright said:
Gday, where can i buy one, how many kinds are there, is there a more sought after item than others. thanks Lyndon
Hi Lyndon,
There are many types of German WWI grenades, the most sought after are the stick grenades, and if they have the original finish, they command very high prices, the egg grenades and ball grenades are still fairly cheap, Bill Combs has a large quanity with transit plugs (fuses are getting hard to find) he ID on ebay is agmohio, there is also the discus (or turtle grenade. For the stick grenades, there are atleast three different major variaties of handles and several different bodies.
Best wihses
Gus

Pick what period in the war you like aim for grenades from that point .AGMOHIO had several Stick grenaten on his lists he also had a nice rifle grenade.

amberruby0026ym.jpg

Hi Lyndon,
Here is my meager selection of WWI hand grenades, at the top are the French early M1914 ball grenade and the French F1 with automatic fuse, and the British Mills bomb #5, the center is a German M1917 Stielhandgranate, and at the bottom is a German Kugelgrenate and an Eirhandgranate. All but the bottom two were purchased via ebay, the bottom two were acquired at SOS last month. The Mills bamb and the Stick grenade are relics that were recovered recently, and show deep pitting.
Gus

Thats where my colection went ,uncle Gus has it :D Mark

If you buy a grenade, you obviously would like to have an inert grenade.

Some grenades are emptied but not cleaned properly. Remains of the gun power will crystallize over time and this can be seen if small crystals inside the grenade body are present. The crystals itself, are inflammable when exposed to heat/or when rubbing over them. So always inspect if the grenade body was cleaned and no crystals are present. Also, insure yourself that the ignition mechanism in the wooden steel of a steel grenade was removed completely.

Johan

To show an interesting and more difficult to find grenade, this is a French Bertrand gas grenade model 1915. Its shaped as a ball and composed out of smaller segments. The inside contained a glass ampoule containing teargas. This ampule broke on impact. The grenade was considered to be fairly unstable. Weight was 200gram including 25gram liquid teargas.
gasgrenade.jpg

Welcome to the forum Johan. Nice to see you here. Trying to figure out how to work my new digital camera.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip Minx said:
Welcome to the forum Johan. Nice to see you here. Trying to figure out how to work my new digital camera.

Best regards,

Chip
It is about time Chip,
Let's see some photos, at least you will not hve to worry about forgetting them and walking out of the room with out them. It was a good thing I was able to catch you before you forgot those old clothes in my hotel room. We expect to see some groupings, and don't be stingy.
Best wihse
Gus

If I could have gotten Chip out of my hotel room with out his Feld Grau, they would have already been posted on the forum, but he resisted. I was only interested in helping the forum.
Gus

Back