German Mützen

RON

Hope everyone's having a nice an quiet Sunday...
After seeing this on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781880748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I realized I still get confused when it comes to German wartime cloth headgear.

What's (and why) the difference between Shirmützen (Visor Caps), Feldmützen/Krätzchen (the field 'berets') and the eBay 'Mütze' listed on eBay since all 3 could be worn by enlisted men/mannschaften?

Mütze mean "hat". If its cloth and it goes on your head, its a Mütze.

Shirmmütze is a visor cap.

Feldmütze is the correct name for the hat worn by Unteroffiziere and Mannschaften.

Krätzchen is slang for Feldmütze.

Dienstmütze with Schirm was worn by Train,Sanitäts-Unteroffiziere, Krankenträger,and Krankenwärter.

Wachtuchmütze was made from oilcloth and worn by Landsturm until 1916.

It might be pointed out to some of our younger members, that the visored cap was designed to be worn with the visor to the front.

Gus, thanks for pointing that out :D
Tony, thanks as well. Taking notes as usual. However, what is the specific eBay Artillery Mütze I posted here? Looks more like an M1910 Shirmmütze without the Shirm and yet is not a 'crushy' as its Feldmütze counterpart. :-?

OK, so this is an Eigetumsstück (Private Purchase) Feldmutze/Krätzchen that comes with a much wider band + wire stiffener in the top. Thanks Tony!

I believe the Germans referred to a cap with this shape as a Tellermütze. It's certainly not a Feldmütze and I don't think Krätzchen is appropriate either.

Chip

Chip Minx said:
I believe the Germans referred to a cap with this shape as a Tellermütze. It's certainly not a Feldmütze and I don't think Krätzchen is appropriate either.

Hey! That's a LOT of we pages on my site I would have to change Chip.... [-X

OK great, now you got me confused again :-?
Makes you wonder why standardization and ISO systems weren't invented back then to reduce the burden on future collectors...

$361 (http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=110781880748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
No bad given the fact it also comes with its original box...
Anyone here won it?

Back