Girls School????

joerookery

I am trying to figure out if this is one of those secondary school classes for girls. If it is shouldn't they be around 14 and these seem a little bit younger?? Can anyone read what is on the back? The pencil was too much for me. Thanks!
girlschool.jpg

girlschoolback1.jpg

Wow Joe, this is some of the worst penmanship I have seen since I gave up cursive.

Lieber ?Guze?
Senden dir eine Karte von
der Kriegs ?strickstunde? 1914
von ?Frind? ?? und Johanna war hier
für die ???? schencken und
ich schicke dir noch ?ei??nochl?
eine Butter ?sch????? Das werden
??? ?und? wohl erhalten haben

I know there are errors in some of what I have, I will pass this on tho the Master and see if he can help, he can read cards that are blank.
Best
Gus

"Kriegsstrickstunde"
I have wondered about the term "Kriegsstricken" (knitting for war) a few times, but now googling this expression revealed a site telling that handwork lessons were partially replaced by this. I could imagine that classes knitted socks and stuff for the soldiers.

Hey Robert,
Thanks for that, I did not even look to see what the girls were doing, that could explain the young age of the girls, as any girl that could knit would be expected to learn.
Gus

I have wondered about the term "Kriegsstricken" (knitting for war) a few times, but now googling this expression revealed a site telling that handwork lessons were partially replaced by this. I could imagine that classes knitted socks and stuff for the soldiers.

Wow! So to explain this if I understand it–the girls spent an hour knitting for the war? They would do this in class? So then it could be Volkschule which would explain the younger children. There is no postmark. But there is a closing to the card… I don't think there's anything here.

girlschoolback_2.jpg

The text in the closing reads

..und wir wünschen alle, daß bald Fieden wäre. Es grüßt .. Familie..

and we all hope that there is peace soon. Greetings from your/the family..

Here is the Master's transcription

Lieber Hugo,
Senden dir eine Karte von
der Kriegs Strickstunde 1914
von Frieda und Johanna wo sie
für die Kegar(????, I don't see it) stricken (strücken???, past tense?) und ich schicke dir noch einmahl eine Butter (Lutter) ?sch????? Das andere wirst du wohl erhalten haben.

Maybe she was really young… but it does seem as though it was a class that everyone attended. Never heard of it before.

Hey Joe,
I believe that the writer is one of the girls in the photo, or at least of the same age, her script is very much like someone who has not had a lot of writing experiance.
Gus

wo sie für die Kegar(????, I don't see it) stricken
wo sie für die Krieger stricken = were they are knitting for the "warriors", the latter is a somewhat martial term for soldiers which was not uncommon then.

It seems though that the card was not written by Frieda and Johanna (presumably the receivers daughters) themselves but rather by his wife. She tells that she will send him some sort of pastry or something and that this is the class were the two of them are knitting for the soldiers.

This is really a nice post card, is an address present?

Hey Joe, it was common to send cards with packages, I have seen many that have no address, but were obviously sent.
Gus

Hey Robert, thatks for the Krieger, it is very plain now.
Best
Gus

I really wish that this had been mailed. Probably Gus is right inside the package. The question I have is was this activity local or nationwide?? Schools were done by the individual states there was a great deal of variation. From what I understand, very few were coeducational– and most of those that were–were in Baden.

Hey Joe,
Knitting socks, mittens and other items was not only national, but world wide, even in the Second World War, somewhere I have a booklet from New Zealand with the instructions for knitting these items.
Best
Gus

Back