Going, but not gone yet (grin)!

Jaap Verduijn

Greetings all! I've been kind of AWOL for some time, due to the rather imbecilic fact that I went far too late to see a doctor with a range of complaints that for too many years I'd ignored in a careless manner. Result: what must have started already years ago as a simple and easily repairable case of prostate cancer, has now metastasized into my whole spine, a bunch of ribs, almost all of the pelvis, and a few other sundry spots. Can't be healed anymore, only slowed down - presently with hormone treatment, and soon with additional chemo therapy.

Prognosis: the old bugger's going, but he's definitely not gone yet (pleased grin)! The biggest risk for now and the foreseeable future is breaking some of the afflicted bones, which gives me relief from the horrible prospect of having to do any physical work :D - let's always look on the bright side of life!

For those who may be interested in intimate pictures :p of a bloke's body I post the bone scan: left is front, right is back. I look like one of the "101 Dalmatians"... woof woof, bark bark!

As you may notice I'm not particularly upset. It's quite likely that I still have several years to go, and if not: I've had a good run for my money. I travelled the whole world way back in the 1960's when it was still something special, I've had two collections of beautiful Pickelhauben before I needed to sell them again, there are many close friends of mainly the female variety around me, I've written and am still writing lots of books, three lovely cats share my home, my two daughters are both doing very well, and their mother AKA my ex visits me every week and drives me back and forth to the hospital whenever needed for consults, injections, infusions, scans, or simply the umpteenth doctor poking his (or preferable her :wink: ) finger up my wrinkled ass.

uitsnede-Botscan-helft.png

Me living in the Netherlands means that I won't go bankrupt before I croak: I'm insured and all that medical bullshit won't cost me a cent - apart from my monthly insurance premium of 110 euros or so. Nevertheless I don't see me expanding my number of Pickelhauben - as an old age pensioner I'm on a fixed income and I reckon the three pictured ones will remain all there is. But look to the left of them: one of my cats! "Fietje" which is short for Fiona - the youngest of my three felines. A man with one or more Pickelhauben and one or more cats is a lucky man - which indeed I consider myself to be :)

So you probably won't see me joyfully posting pictures of "latest acquisitions" and such but... with great interest I'll keep following all y'alls adventures in the fascinating world of Pickelhauben! And of course I may contribute some of my matchless insights every now and then :D

Keep the faith - whatever that may be.

Fietje-naast-pekelhoofden.jpg

Hey Jaap,

...quiet a story :cry:....don't really know what to say...

I hope you'll be able to stay as long as possible.

It is satisfiing to read that you still enjoy your life even in your currant situation
Hang in there and hope for the best that you can stay amongst us for a longer time

Jonas

Hi Jaap,

I've known this for a while, and the way you always speak about your visits to hospital and doctors there, are always full of humor and
I know you'll be with us for quite a while! Your good spirits always amazes me.
Hang in there my friend, and if you need me for anything, just let me know okay?
You're right about cats and haubes though! A man couldn't have a nicer life than that!

You keep the faith too mate!
Coert.

Think back to all the times that someone has told you NOT to do something ---
Then go do it.

Wishing you the best.

John :(

That's some serious stuff sir! I wish you everything it takes to stay as long as possible.

Adler

Very sad to hear Jaap, nobody ever said life is fair. We all eventually can only deal with the cards we are given, something will get us all in the end. In the meantime, live life to the fullest and keep posting here on the forum.

Jaap,

I’m very sorry to hear this. On the positive side, you have already stimulated one member into going to see his doctor. I,too, ignored very obvious symptoms of what turned out to be bowel cancer, through lack of knowledge and pressure of life, and, by the time I got to the doctor, the only solution was major surgery, and radiotherapy. In my case, it worked, and I’m still here 27 years later, but I was very lucky. I just want to emphasise to members, and, through them, to anybody they know, that, if you have the slightest doubt or concern, get to your doctor.

Jaap, I’ve enjoyed your whimsical/‘off the wall’ posts. Long may you continue to contribute!

Best wishes

Patrick

Your positivity is great and a lesson for us all , for that Sir you have my deepest respect. Always look on the bright side .

Guten Abend JAAP

YOU gave me fine information when I was researching my midshipman's dagger with a Nord Nederland/Deutsch name=Sieffens''''.only a native' with understanding of culture and the region could have offered such...many thanks . You have affected many of us with your -down to earth
sincere style.,,much appreciated....
Are there any of your writings in
english ---which we might enjoy?????..Looking forward to more of your thoughts. Best Wishes-- Randolpho=Alte Helm Zimmer

Guys, thanks for all your good wishes and your sympathy to this here ole deteriorating carcass :D! Much appreciated, and be assured that I will keep following and occasionally taking part in this fine forum!

Yesterday I had a long talk in the hospital about the treatments that are being done now, and others that will be started in the next few months. At the end of the talk I got a chip implanted :eek:! Naaaaah... not really a chip (grin) - it was a big thingummy, a "depot" that was injected into my belly fat that will gradually release testosterone-killing stuff over the next three months, and then I'll get an new one, and so on and on. It's testosterone that "drives" the prostate cancer which it al started with, and that creates all the metastases in my bones. I'm also still taking my pills for another two weeks, until the "chip" is doing all of the job.

Early February the chemo-therapy will start. Not exactly looking forward to it, but to put it in the words of the immortal Johan Wayne: "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" :D!

I am also in a constant circuit of advise on what I still can/should do, and what I can't/shouldn't do anymore. The biggest risk is breaking bones in my back, hips and/or pelvis. Gone are the days when I carried two 25 kilogram bags of cat food into my shed at once... can't even carry one anymore. No problem: there are smaller bags.

That was the bad news, now the good: due to the hormone part of the treatment I am developing boobs :D! Each morning when I wake up I have a good feel :D :D :D! They're small though: a modest A-cup I guess. I have ordered a catalogue from Victoria's Secret to select a tasteful little bra (grin).

The pain in my bones is easily bearable thanks to the hormone medication (it slows down the growth of the tumors and even tends to reduce them a bit) and lots of paracetamol. If (or rather when) it becomes worse they'll give me morphine. A side effect may be that I get a perpetually foul mood, but I don't think anyone will notice the difference :p!

Alright, y'all keep doing the good work! And thanks again!

Jaap.

Back