Grenadier Officer Restoration

Hey Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up. To Amy as well for sending out photos of the completed work!

My vulcanfibre version of this helmet is not twisted or torn, but my fittings are definitely dirty.

The biggest issue that has stayed my hand at starting any type of restoration is what was used for originally lining the interior.

The original liner was literally paper thin leather with the silk stitched in and was marked "Depahaug Patent" with what appeared to have been an image of the statue from atop the Brandenburg Gate.

That paper thin leather lining crumpled like dust with the slightest handling. Like ancient parchment or something! That really did kind of suck...

Have you ever seen or dealt with an issue like that? Do you use any specific replacement leather?

Bryan.

I have never had a problem with a sweatband in the condition you describe Bryan. I have removed both visors and installed/replaced the sweatband with another original. As far as repro silk liners go, I use the ones from Poland sold by spikehelmets.eu Regarding a reproduction sweatband, I have never had to buy one. Originals are often sold on French eBay though. Original sweatbands can be resized if they are too large for the shell but not if too small. I would also recommend simply gluing an original sweatband to a shell rim with contact cement instead of restitching. Trying to restitch a hundred year old thin piece of leather around a shell rim is extremely difficult. I have done it but there is a high risk of tearing the old leather due to the amount of stress that has to be put on the sweatband/liner. I do make repro OR liners and these can be stitched in because obviously, the leather is new. The original leather used for OR liners was vegetable tanned sheep skin and you can buy it today.

Back