Guards du Corps helmet from Bay State Militaria

awozny1965

Helmet finally came in today and has found its new spot. All that's left to do is get a stand for it.
Andreas

Attachments

• corps5.jpg
    corps5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Corps.jpg
    Corps.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42
  • corps2.jpg
    corps2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 41
  • corps4.jpg
    corps4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
  • corps6.jpg
    corps6.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 144
  • corps7.jpg
    corps7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 46
  • corps9.png
    corps9.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 44

JohnS3rd

Andreas,
I have been looking at that helmet on Bay State for several years but never wanted to go that deep for a helmet. After my wife saw the monthly cc statement, I would be sleeping with it on my head behind the Salvation Army. LOL
I am glad that this fine-looking helmet has such august room to reside. Thanks for the pictures.
John

awozny1965

Andreas,
I have been looking at that helmet on Bay State for several years but never wanted to go that deep for a helmet. After my wife saw the monthly cc statement, I would be sleeping with it on my head behind the Salvation Army. LOL
I am glad that this fine-looking helmet has such august room to reside. Thanks for the pictures.
John
I never would have thought to spend that much money on a helmet either, but I am glad I pulled the trigger. I did not know that it was for sale for such a long time but I guess it takes a certain kind of crazy. Luckily my wife liked the helmet too, so I can continue to live in the house :)

Naprawiacz

Andreas,
John
John you have put it beautifully into words.We are constantly balancing on the precipice.

Naprawiacz

Andreas, congratulations on a beautiful item. Only a few have it. It's good that it's in the right hands. Only the chosen ones are happy about the collection. Regards.
Wojtek

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Just had a chat with Andreas, and so I will ask the question that is critical here.

Are the chinscales Tombak? They must be Tombak for GdC and GKR. If they are brass, there is a problem.

corps6-jpg.16708

Last edited:

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Also, as I indicated to Andreas, on the right side that is not a rounded M94 Kürassier post for the chinscales. Why?

Look at the deep scratches where that chinscale has been forced on. Why?

FC07022C-69A4-47F7-8104-0E78146463D1.png

Last edited:

awozny1965

I took some close-ups of the chin scales. To me it almost looks like they are a mix of one side being correct and the other side possibly a brass one??? Or maybe I am just going crazy now staring at these for too long. The leather chin strap looks like it has the same age to me.

Attachments

• chinscales2.jpg
    chinscales2.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 19
  • chinscales3.jpg
    chinscales3.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 19
  • chinscales4.jpg
    chinscales4.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 19
  • chinscales5.jpg
    chinscales5.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 19

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Andreas the one that appears to be Tombak has a perfect clean rounded cut-out for the rounded M94 post.

However, the one that appears brass, has what appears to be a crudely ‘enlarged’ V to make it appear rounded.

More concerning as we discussed, that pointed post V does not belong on a Kürassier helmet of any pattern.

awozny1965

Andreas the one that appears to be Tombak has a perfect clean rounded cut-out for the rounded M94 post.

However, the one that appears brass, has what appears to be a crudely ‘enlarged’ V to make it appear rounded.

More concerning as we discussed, that pointed post V does not belong on a Kürassier helmet of any pattern.
Thanks Tony. I already contacted Bay Militaria about the wrong post. I am going to contact Scott now about the chin scale.

awozny1965

I guess you are returning the helmet as BS has relisted the helmet
I think it's kind of funny that he still has my money and is putting the helmet up for sale again. It could get lost in the mail, or damaged or I may never send it. Anyhow, to be honest I am still struggling with the decision. I think I will drink some good German beer and eat some good German food while I am visiting my Mom and decide what to do. :)