Gun show find.

USMC-EOD

Gents,

I am always drooling over your latest finds so I thought I should post my latest. I went to a local gun show last weekend. I normally don't find anything pickelhaube related at this particular show, but I got lucky with this enlisted 1914-dated cuirassier's helmet. It had an incorrect German silver colored wappen (1st picture) on the front that I have since replaced with an officer's cuirassier wappen from my parts box until I can find the right one. I guess I'll throw the incorrect wappen in the parts box with the rest of them.

This thing had a few bad dents that someone tried to beat out sometime in the past. It was also badly discolored (brownish-gray) from years of not being taken care of. Fortunately, no pitting of the metal. A good friend of mine helped me carefully remove the dents and bring the helmet back to a really nice shine. Mother's Mag Polish really helped a lot in the final stages.

It's made by C.E. Junker and is a size 55. The really cool thing is that it is unit marked to the 8th Cuirassier Regiment next to the size number at the bottom of the neck guard ("8 K").

A fellow collector buddy gave me a set of repro chin scales and some repro cockades he didn't need anymore and I will use them on the helmet until I can find a real set.

I've got an 1889 and several 1915s but this is the first one of these I've ever owned. I believe from looking at other posts that this is a model 1894? A pity they quit making these and replaced them with the model 1915s.

Anyhow, I hope you gentlemen enjoy looking at the pictures of how this thing turned out as much as I enjoyed cleaning it.

Semper Fi,

Bryan.

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

Back