Hamburgers allowed... R J.R.73

Adler

As last helmet for 2009 I want to show you a M95 Pickelhaube for Enlisted Men of R J.R.73.III.B. of the city Hamburg. Inside it's also marked in white paint J.R.163 1910...
I suppose the wearer of this helmet was first with J.R.163 and became later a reservist in R J.R.73.III.B.
I can't make out the makers mark, anyone has a clue?

Adler

Great find! For some time, both regiments were assigned to the same Inf. Brigage after mobilization.

386px-IR_Lübeck_012_-_Kriegsgliederung_1917.jpg

Another one! I go on vacation and you do this! You are amazing Karel.

I am a little bit surprised that no member talked about the Landwehr cross. All things being perfect a helmet originally from RJR 76 should in perfection Have no motto on the cross. But this one came from JR 163! Interesting.

Very nice helmet Adler, you always display such interesting things, congratulations on your helmet ..

Joe, this past summer I had the good luck to purchase an officers helmet locally. It appears to be a Reserve Officer from the 162nd Infantry, no name, no regiment number inside. It too, like Adler's, has the standard reserve cross on the front of the wappen. What makes me like this one so much is that I purchased it from a Lady who, as a former US Army Nurse, purchased it at a Berlin Flea Market in 1969. It has never been out of her hands until our purchase this past July. Easy enough I suppose to do a kokard swap, but, it was 40 years ago. My idea was that when the officer passed to the reserves he simply put on the easiest to find cross at his local Pickelhaube shop. Whadya think? It's a beauty of a helmet and has never been "played with" that I can tell. :dontknow:

Larmo

A new year Larry!

My idea was that when the officer passed to the reserves he simply put on the easiest to find cross at his local Pickelhaube shop. Whadya think? It's a beauty of a helmet and has never been "played with" that I can tell.

Relative to officers with only a few exceptions they did not "pass" to the reserves. They started that way. That is significantly different than the American system. However, I do agree that the cross could be completely different depending upon what was available. Why for instance would you have a reserve officer with an active bandaux? It happened -- why. So I agree with you it is possible. In the case of the helmet that is shown is further complicated by JR 163. Clearly the stamps are good to go.

The two helmets are beautiful, and I love the kockarden.
The correct inscription for the Reserve/Landwehr cross for the units from the Hanseatic cities was " Mit Gott furs Baterland" with laurel boughs on the lower arm of the cross. Ref Uniformenkunde Das Deutsche heer von Herbert Knotel d.J in Gemeinschaft mit Paul Pietsch und Major a.D. Baron Collas, Tafelbane II, Tafel 149 W.Spemann, Stuttgart 1982, and The Reserve/Landwehr Kreuz of the Imperial German Army, James D. Turinetti, 2009 page 49.
I think the two rarest crosses are the one for the See Batallions and the one for the Hanseatic cities. I have seen the one for the See Batallions (pg 53, The Reserve/Landwehr Kreuz of the Imperial German Army, ) but I have never seen the correct cross for the Hanseatic Cities.
They are still beautiful helmets.
Jim

Back