Hannover Offizier

Gents,

This is my latest acquisition: an officer's helmet from one of the Hannoverian regiments that carry the 'Waterloo' bandeau.

The lacquer on the front and rear visors is in near mint condition. That on the skull itself is slightly cracked here and there, while the skull is slightly pressed in on the back left side close to the spike base. I consulted Brian, and he advised to leave it as it is, as such a slight damage is not unusual. From now on the helmet will rest on a wooden base that supports the interior, so it will not get any worse.

I carefully cleaned the wappen and the brass parts slightly (thanks Brian for the suggestion to use "Hagerty", this stuff really works!), without damaging the gilt or lossing the patina look. I'm pleased that the 'Waterloo' bandeau still has it's letters filled in with the original black paint!

On the leather the name "Weilbach" is hand written, but that ofcourse could be added in later years.

What do you think of it?

Best regards,

Marcel

Good one :bravo: I like the patina.
Could you describe how you cleaned it - I have a job to do on a gilded adler.

How do I like it? :-k :-k I think it's super! Yes, nice patina and the marks from the ueberzug show that it had a good service life as well. Also, if your wooden form for it allows the top inside of the helmet to rest on it, then the dents, which I agree are minor and not detractive, may straighten out over the years. One never knows!

:D Ron

Hi Pierre,

Hagerty silver polish can be applied with a soft tooth brush and washed off with water. You can use a soft cloth to remove the stains after applying the paste with the brush and some water. Make sure to support the wappen from behind with your other hand, and do not put too much pressure on the breakable parts such as the crown and the sceptre!

Succes

Marcel

Dare I mention Tony's method of cleaning gilt wappen?

I can tell you guys, however... It sounds absolutely insane, but works. Although... I don't know if I would do it with this wappen, due to the paint on the bandeau.

:D Ron

Marcel,

is the hand-written name definitely Weilbach? I can find no Prussian officer of that name.

Regards
Glenn

I'm pretty sure it's "Weilbach", and yes there are three more letters in front of the rear name but I cannot make anything sensible out of them..

Glenn, where do you do your research for the lists of regiments, is there an easy to access data base?

I'll pm you. :) Tony never really posted the technique here for some obvious reasons once you find out a bit about it, but I'll gladly share with anybody interested.

Ron

poniatowski said:
I'll pm you. :) Tony never really posted the technique here for some obvious reasons once you find out a bit about it, but I'll gladly share with anybody interested.

Ron

:eek: :confused2: OOoo , sounds dangerous

Marcel,

Glenn, where do you do your research for the lists of regiments, is there an easy to access data base?

Their is no database of Regiments but in the first instance I consult the published army lists (Ranglisten) which list all Prussian regular and reserve/Landwehr officers up to 1914. The Ehrenrangliste published after the war lists all regulars from 1914 to 1918. A check through the Militär-Wochenblätter 1914-1918 did not turn up any Prussian infantry reserve officer of that name either.

Regards
Glenn

After Glenn mentored me with limited success on pictures, I can assure you that none of this is easy. Without his baseline knowledge there would be an incredibly bad experience. Glenn is a master.

Back