Hans von Frobel

Liongules

This is posted on another forum, but I thought I'd post it here too in case anyone might be interested.

A while back there was a rather strong dicussion on the Gentelmen's Military Interest Club expressing dismay over how some eBay sellers (and others) break up collections to sell as individual pieces in order to maximize profit. Usually these collections are medal bars that I can't afford to do anything about! :oops: Then a post was made that a seller was selling two postcards of a German officer. The writer identified that the two cards were of the same officer, Captain Hans von Frobel, commander of 7th Company, Braunschweigishes Infantrie-Regiment Nr. 92. The writer felt it was a shame the two photos were being sold sperately.

As most of you know, I usually buy postcards of royalty, nobles, and generals, but I decided these two cards needed to remain together. I was lucky enough to win the auction on eBay and here are the cards.

According to information that was supplied to me by another member of GMIC, Captain von Frobel's career looked like this:

Leutnant, 7 March 1896
Oberleutnant, 20 March 1906
Hauptman, 1 October 1912
Major, 20 September 1918.

He survived the war. I have no other information about him.

Both cards have a message on the back signed by von Frobel.

Card # 1, front, dated in 1915.

captainhansvonfrobelff2.jpg

Here's a close-up of his medals

hansvonfrobelmedalsuo6.jpg

....and yes, that is the most beautiful medal in all of Germany,
the Order of Henry the Lion, in first place on his chest!!!! :D

Wow, just goes to show that each of us has our own areas of interest and what is appealing to one isn't necessarily appealing to everyone! :p

I thought I'd have a bunch of comments over this posting since I think it's a fantastic set of photos and keeping them together was kind of neat too! But no one else seems very interested. :cry:

Don't be sad Mike. I, for one was very interested in von Frobel's Ordenspange. The photographic detail is superb. In addition to the Ritterkreuz des Haus-Ordens Heinrichs des Löwen, von Frobel's bar includes a Wilhelm I Erinnerungs-Medaille, a Sachsen Albrechts-Orden Ritterkreuz 2. Klaße, and something I can't identify. Wearing the Feldgrau Bluse, the two classes of Iron Cross are emphasized, with the Henry the Lion ribbon also visible on the placket.

Interestingly, v. F's rank in the 1915 dated postcard is Hauptmann (two "pips") but he appears to be an Oberleutnant in the 1916 photo. Is there a second pip on his board?

Also, were the GMIC brain trust able to identify the last Order?

Chas.

Chas,

Thank you very much for your comments! On the feldgrau photo, I believe his shoulder seam is raised up just enough it obscures our view of the very end of the shoulder strap. If you look at the end you can just see a small pyramid which I believe to be the top point of the second pip.

On GMC I was told that other medal was the Knight's Cross, 1st Class, Swedish Order of the Sword, gazetted in the Militär-Wochenblatt of 25 June 1914.

Liongules said:
I believe his shoulder seam is raised up just enough it obscures our view of the very end of the shoulder strap.
Ah, I can see it now. Thanks, Mike. I wonder what service a German officer would perform to receive an order from neutral Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Svardsorden.jpg

Chas.

I thought I'd have a bunch of comments over this posting since I think it's a fantastic set of photos and keeping them together was kind of neat too! But no one else seems very interested.

Mike, I noticed your photographs today for the first time, so don't be too impatient, please. :D I can hardly contribute to this interesting topic. My knowledge about this subject is almost nihil. Just this reply to let you know, that even people who have no particular knowledge about this topic, appreciate you posting these pictures! Keep posting and Thanks for sharing with us, Mike!

Pierre

Pierre,

Thank you for your kind comments. I was just being silly just to see if I got a response, :lol: but it is frustrating in a way when you post something that you are really fascinated by and then get no response.

I will continue to post things that interest me, and I'll try to post comments to the postings of others! \:D/

Liongules said:
it is frustrating in a way when you post something that you are really fascinated by and then get no response.
Hi Mike:

I share your frustration. I have posted pictures and descriptions of orders and awards that most individuals would be lucky to see in a museum. I don't do it for bragging rights or one-upmanship. I do it because I love what I collect and believe others would be likewise interested. However, I have come to accept that if it ain't a pointy hat, it don't mean much at this forum.

Since you mentioned the beauty of Henry the Lion, here is something from my collection you will appreciate. If you PM your e-maill address, I will send you the image full size.

IMMOTA FIDES!

Chas.

PICT0496.jpg

Lost Skeleton said:
Liongules said:
it is frustrating in a way when you post something that you are really fascinated by and then get no response.
Hi Mike:

I share your frustration. I have posted pictures and descriptions of orders and awards that most individuals would be lucky to see in a museum. I don't do it for bragging rights or one-upmanship. I do it because I love what I collect and believe others would be likewise interested. However, I have come to accept that if it ain't a pointy hat, it don't mean much at this forum.

Since you mentioned the beauty of Henry the Lion, here is something from my collection you will appreciate. If you PM your e-maill address, I will send you the image full size.

IMMOTA FIDES!

Chas.

PICT0496.jpg

Oh, Chas!!! Now you've made me want to pluck out my eyes and go live in a cave, for I'll never see anything ever again as beautiful as this!! :? Seriously, if I could ever win the lottery I would start my collection by buying every version of the Henry the Lion that I could get my hands on! But, right now I couldn't even afford just a knight's cross! :p

You have a breathtaking collection. PM to follow.

Hi Chas,
This is one super group of medals. Did you happen to see the listing on E-bay? http://cgi.ebay.de/Orig-Komturkreuz-z-Orden-Heinrich-des-Loewen-Braunsch_W0QQitemZ150070198688QQihZ005QQcategoryZ34651QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Bill

Hi Bill:

Thanks! I hadn't seen the listing. That item is bound to fetch a pretty penny. I posted better pictures of my "pride" here:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2539

Chas.

Back