Hansen Screwback

Lost Skeleton

No, it's not a Danish activity for consenting adults, but rather a very nifty Iron Cross (slighty rusted and difficult to find).

Chas.

3Hansen.jpg

2Hansen.jpg

1Hansen.jpg

Hi Chas: Very nifty indeed. Congratulations. Screwback EK1s made during the Imperial period are very tough to find. I have been looking for a good one for quite some time. The following convex EK1 is also sort of interesting. Although probably made during the early 3rd reich period as evidenced by the hall mark "2" (C.E. Juncker) it is still a 3 piece screwback with the cross, back plate and nut all marked 800.

ek1fin4.jpg

ek1rzi1.jpg

Reservist1

Hi R1:

What a fantastic specimen. :love10: Thank you for sharing. Would you say that particular core pattern is unique to Juncker pieces of the Third Reich? I have a convex pinback that comes very close to matching your screwback, but the only marking is '800' on the pin.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Chas.

Would you say that particular core pattern is unique to Juncker pieces of the Third Reich?

Chas: That is a very good question. I don't know. I have not looked at enough Juncker marked 1914 EK1s to to offer an opinion. I would be interested in seeing your similar piece, particularly the hinge, when you have time to post it.

Reservist1

PICT0185.jpg

PICT0186.jpg

The surface of the iron core appears to be chemically blackened as it not enameled. I think the crown, W, and date are identical in execution to the Juncker screwback. Furthermore, the core details are quite similar to wartime Wagner EKs, only convex.

Chas.

And, speaking of Third Reich screwbacks, whenever Tony encounters something particularly pristine, he refers to it as a 'time traveler.'

This EK certainly qualifies for that distinction. The pictures can't do it justice. It looks as though it was made yesterday.

Chas.

PICT0188.jpg

PICT0190.jpg

Chas: Very nice convex 1914 EK1. The core is very similar to my 3rd reich era Juncker screwback. However, there do seem to be some slight variations in the numerals in the date and the overall shape of the crown. That could just be a function of two different sets of dies. I have often wondered if some manufacturers of the EK may have purchased iron planchets of the core from shops specializing in iron work, then finished & assembled the cores into the manufacturter's frames.
From the configuration of the hinge and pin on your EK coupled with the attention to detail in finishing the edges of the pin, hinge and hook I get the feeling that your piece is likely pre 1919 manufacture.

Your 3rd Reich screwback with the rayed plate is just super. Those pieces with bright silver surfaces and flat white accents are most impressive.

Reservist1

Back