Helme Makers

Kaiser Bill

We had a good little thread in the old forum on helmet makers. I ran across a similar endevor in the Kaiserziet Journal so I will repeat their efforts. This was a compulation by many collectors some of which are with us on this forum. If anyone has any additions let me know and I will add them to the list. Bill

Awes Marke (A. Werner & Sohne) Berlin
Babbenfold & Co. Barmen B.A.X.
Hugo Baruch & Cie Berlin
M. Becker & Co. Berlin
Max Beyer
Bing
Christian Block Muchen
Hermann Clemen
Franz Cobau
Franz Cuben Berlin
Alexander Dahl Helmfabrik Barmen, Ritterhausen
Depaheg Pattent
D.M.A.G.
D.O.V. (Deutscher Offiziersverein)
Eckart
Herm. Flohr
Helbing-Sackewitz
Henkg-Witter
Adolph Hoffmann Berlin
Ho(r)(n)mann & Sohn
Franz Horg(e)(t)
Inclande (----st) Freiburg
Alexander Behl Barmen
Br Jsa
Br Israel
Gebr Israel
W. Jaeger
Wilh. Jaeger
Jamaschke
Julius Janser(n) Strassburg
C. E. Junker
Abteilung Berthold Lissner Guber(n)
----Kleinheian Munschen 161 IR
Lachmann Berlin
Berthold Lissner Guben
S. Lubung Strassburg im Elsass
Ludwig & Co.
Maller & Co.
Marke Guarde du Corps
Maub(r)y & Cie Offenback am Main BAX
Maury & Co
Mohr & Speyer Berlin
Muller & Co. Offenbach a. Main
Otto Nachtigall Berlin
M. Neumann Konigl. Huflieferant Berlin W.
J. G. Nieb Sohme Biberach 123 IR
Karl Negele
Oekonomie Kunstinstitut Berlin
G. H. Osang Dresden
Prima Qualitat
L. Ritger Carlsruhe 1B
Hans Romer Neu Ulm
Helbing v. Sackewitz
Eduard Sachs Berlin
M. Schambeck Konigl. Bayer. Hoflieferant
Fr. Schlemmer
Schletcher Compagne
Schulz & Holdefleiss Berlin N.
---- Steinmetz Brelau
Moritz Stecher Freiburg-sa
Vereingte Textilwerke GMbh Berlin W9 Vodstrade
Carl Trenner
Actien Gesh. Thiele
Wilhelm Voigt Magdeburg
Hermann Weissenburg & Cie Cannstadt
GmbH Wetziar
C. G. Wilke Guben
Wunderlich Berlin
A. Wunderlich
A Zinna Munschn

Fore and Aft Hats:

J. F. Bock Hoflieferant im Berlin Berlin
C. Diebl Munschen
Richard Morbitz Dresden
Mohr & Speyer Berlin

Visor Caps and Mutze:

A Dalluge Hannover
E. F. Damm
Karl Gulle Mutzenfabrik Paderborn
Anton Gunz Berg Gladbach
P & C Habig Berlin
Handwerkskammer zu Arnsberg
Hierteis Sohne Nurnburg & Furtth
Wilhelm Jaeger Metz
Meyer & Lowe
Emil Scherf Wilhelmshaven
E. Schluter Gottingen
Chr. Schweitzer BAVIII
Wilhelm Welhause Hannover

Many thanks for this post Bill. This is invaluable information. I am glad that someone saved it. There sure were a great many haube makers and retailers which is a testimony to the importance of the army in Germany. Brian

Bill: Nice list. I can add the following: Wilhelm Kern, Hut & Mutzenfabrik, Studenten & Militar Effekten, Freiburg i.B. This is on a paper label inside a Baden officers helmet. I am not positive if this firm actually made the helmet or was a retailer. I also wonder if all the names on the list are actually manufacturers? Two in particualr caught my eye, Deutscher Offizierverein (D.O.V.) and M.Neumann. These were very large retailers for all sorts of military effects and I wonder if they really manufactured all of the various items marked with their name. I have seen quite a few officer swords with D.O.V. markings on one side of the blade and the trademark of the actual blade maker on the other side.

Reservist1

We have to start somewhere! I wonder if there is not three types of helmet makers: retailers, assemblers, manufacturers? I don't know. It seems however in my study of Ersatz helmets that the Beschlag came from subcontracted agencies. So for instance firm a got the contract to make helmets. They got the wappen from someone else and included it in the manufacturing process. There was more than one of these subcontractors, but I have no clue yet as to who is who. Here is a group of makers from the Ersatz world. It is a small subset that comes from the war minister contracts. Seems like that would be a very rich source to find all of us information. Forgive me if I put in duplicates.

Filz---
Förster & Co.
May Basch in Luchenwalde
Firma Goldschmidt in Luchenwalde
Firma Schulhof in Berlin

Metal----
Metallwaren Fabrik Weißenburger & Cie in Stuttgart
Metallwaren Fabrik Gebrüder Bing in Nürenburg
Siemens-Martin-Stahlblech

Firma von der Heyden in Berlin ( kit helmets)
Firma Ludwig Bortfelt in Bremen (cork)
I also have the catalog
Catalog von Mathias Müller in Liepzig.
He certainly is a retailer. But apparently quite the retailer for the Saxon army.

Reservist, what insights do you have on Neumann? His approach in the catalog is somewhat different.

Another thought that I have is that it would be useful to collect pictures of the makers marks. I think somewhere, I now have three different types of Awes Mark pictures. For instance, we can put down Julius Jansen and then post all of the known types of marks for this maker.
DepotMarks_21.jpg
I would be willing to host the list and pictures on my webspace to make it available to it every one whenever they want. This is a big project. What do you think?

This would really help folks in determining what a Mark says, that might not be totally legible. For instance, we would know what a Jansen Mark looks like.

Joe: I don't know a whole lot about M.Neumann other than they clearly offered helmets and sold high quality edged weapons. I have a very nice Damascus blade model 89 Infantry Officer sword and the only markings are M.Neumann Hoflieferant/Berlin on the blade spine. I believe they were primarily a retailer. A reference on German sword makers lists them as a sword retailer and shows the company in business from about 1890 and ceasing operations sometime prior to 1911. Another firm named M & N Neumann appears in Berlin in 1911 at 99 Ritterstrasse and lasted until the 1930's. There is conjecture that M&N Neumann was a successor to M. Neumann but no conclusive proof. Out of curiosity does your catalog list a street address?

As for Neumann's activity with helmets I tend to believe they, as well as most other suppliers of private purchase items, were retailers who had the actual manufacturer or a small specialty shop assemble the helmet to specific customer orders. Your ideas about the felt helmets makes pefect sense when dealing with government contracts to supply large numbers of similar helmets. However, firms like Neumann were commercial operations competing to make sales of single items to any number of different purchasers. It just not seem to make a lot of business sense for them to tie up a lot of money to inventory the huge variety of parts needed to cover any configuration of helmet and quality level of fittings that someione might order.

Sorry to get so long winded but that is my scientific wild guess on the subject.

Reservist1

A reference on German sword makers lists them as a sword retailer and shows the company in business from about 1890 and ceasing operations sometime prior to 1911
8)
Cool! Thanks reservist! The catalog, I have is not dated. It is clearly between 1897 and 1911 but that's a long time. The street address is listed on the cover. There are all sorts of effects in the catalog, including swords. He refers to the helmets as "my helmets.". The context is like "my helmets are of the highest quality." Obviously that does not mean that "my helmets." Is anything more than a helmet he put a sticker in. Ron has a picture of a Neumann sticker in the general Marwitz thread.

Can you send me a scan of the deal that says they went out of business? Believe it or not I cannot get this or commentary on the catalog published without a papal dispensation from a copyright attorney. An end date of operation might help. Are you a sword guy too? Maybe you would want to write the commentary on swords for the Mueller and Neumann catalogs?
neumanncatalog.jpg

I like your suggestion for collecting pictures of makers marks Joe. I'm afraid I only have the one that I can add to the gallery at the moment.

This is from my Prussian Foot Artillery helmet.

I would like to add Emile de la Croix, Berlin. Found inside my EM helmet of the 7th Grenadier Regiment. The only spike helemt maker so far with a french name!!!
Bruno

Back