Helmet from France

Kaiser Bill

I would be all over this....... if it is real. Comments, Questions????? Bill http://cgi.ebay.com/spike-helmet-pickelhaube-helmet-german-casque-a-pointe_W0QQitemZ6578244418QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi Bill:

It's difficult to say, conclusively, based on those pictures. It seems like there's no dearth or rare regiments available in the configuration of Reserve Offizier. Braunschweig is perhaps the best example of this phenomenon. Absent a "Fuerst" Adler, I would exercise caution regarding these big ticket hauben.

My sole observation, based on what I can see, is that the star appears disproportionately large with the 12:00 point climbing up the eagle's face.

Have you contacted the seller for better pix?

Chas.

You gotta see the back of the plate. This one 6566358078. He shows the back of the plate. Look at it. It doesn't fill me with a warm and fuzzy. On number of this helmets sell relatively inexpensively. A pioneer officer for $1100. An officer of Ulan for $1500. All of these landwehr plates. Why isn't anyone else jumping on this?

It seems like there's no dearth or rare regiments available in the configuration of Reserve Offizier. Braunschweig is perhaps the best example of this phenomenon.
A great comment, and one worthy of its own thread. For the longest time, I have been trying to figure out which landwehr organizations wore, which helmets. There is nothing in writing that I am aware of that give you any information to determine relative rarity of reserve and landwehr helmets. Then you get to the entire issue of could there/should there be an FR on any or all of these helmets? Should there be the impression of a landwehr cross on the chest of the eagle underneath? The back of my braunschweig plate is located at http://www.coljs.com/pickelhaube/92ndlandwehr.htm
I would love some comments on this thought.

The numbers of Braunschweig examples I think is directly tied to the number of landwehr and perhaps landsturm battalions. We all say that running horse wappen is one that is for the first and second Battalion before 1912. While that is true in the example of the landwehr, I believe the running horse was used throughout the Pickelhaubes history. To say that more clearly, an active helmet would be before 1912 but a landwehr helmet could be through 1917 and then of course all of the veterans helmets. Lacarde popped off with a claim that is not documented with a footnote, and I can get no one to explain it. Not done with all this documentation yet.[/img]

Hi Joe:

I've been looking at the seller's other auctions too. There is not one I would bid on based on those pictures. The critical shots are always out of focus. Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASQUE-A-POINTE-COIFFURE-1914-ALLEMAND-SPIKE-HELMET_W0QQitemZ6578225950QQcategoryZ79243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The helmet is Offizier in all respects, but with an issued Mannschaften Wappen. It would be a good restoration project if the price were right. However, I believe all these helmets have been touched by a magic wand.

Joe:

I get an "URL Not Found" when I attempt to access your Braunschweiger link above.

Chas.

I can't find it either Brad. However, I checked the seller's completed auctions. This might answer Bill's original question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASQUE-A-POINTE-COIFFURE-1914-ALLEMAND-SPIKE-HELMET_W0QQitemZ6572458395QQcategoryZ79243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chas.

Joe, Chas,
I did e-mail asking for additional pictures. No reply yet. I don't like the looks of his other "origional" helmets. This also goes back to a nagging question.... If it is so good why are you selling it here rather than your own back yard??? Bill

Hi guys,

It looks like the center oval is very new compared to the star which is quite tranished.

I would exercise caution

This seller is a bit odd. He puts a number of helmets up then closes the listings just before they are supposed to end. Not really sure what he is trying to accomplish.

John

Ok stupid question.... I cannot remember seeing a notation for "reserve not met" on any E-bay auctions outside the U.S. Is this not allowed outside the U.S. or have I just missed something? Bill

Hi Bill,
I think you have just missed something, as I have seen such notations (although they were in another language)
Zaphod

Back