HELMET PARTS

SHOOTEST

Today I found a man who has a few original helmet parts and two incomplete helmets. What he has is three eagle plates with wide spread wings, a Artillery round topped spike, a few rosettes and a long gold braided cord and a silver cord. Do these parts have much of a value ? I can get them in a trade deal but don't have any idea of their value. The two helmets. one looks like a costume company or maybe movie studio had it, the body is pretty good but has been painted black, the spike looks home made the only original item on it is the eagle plate..liner is mostly gone. The other is not bad, it has a nice officer spike and back rib, the metal around edges is good, the body is good there is no plate, liner is fair. Thanks for the help !

Those parts have some value depending on the condition. Can you place some photo's of the parts?

Are the eagle plates complete or are there some bits broken off. Are the eagle plates officer or EM versions? Are they cavalery or infanterie?

Greetings

Pickelhaube

An officer spike should sell for approx $200. Helmet plates with wide spread wings....do you mean Garde style plates? Some pics would help.

b.loree said:
An officer spike should sell for approx $200. Helmet plates with wide spread wings....do you mean Garde style plates? Some pics would help.

I will go back and get photo's of the lot later this week and post them for all to evaluate. I think the one helmet would be pretty easy to restore and would come out looking great I am prone to taking the lot but as said before I have no idea of price ? I also need to pick up a good reference book that would help me identify the various types of helmets any suggestions ? I have almost every book written of steel helmets but none on spikes. I do have a few spikes I have picked up through the years collecting steel pots (see photo). Again thanks for everyone's help I am learning a lot from you guys !

Nice collection! There is a list of reference books in a section here on the forum. However, the best on line site to learn about the different models and types of hauben is Tony Schnurrs'....The Kaisers Bunker. To my knowledge Tony has the best collection in Canada and one of the top collections world wide.

not all the parts are German, but there is some good stuff here. $400 to $500 in parts at least.

IMO

James

Yes some good stuff there. The spike top is for the grey M15's helmet which you also have 2 bases for. Those chain like chin scales are for a Brit or US style so called Home Service helmets (cork covered cloth). I also see a Saxon Reichs kokade there with the smooth edge. The plates are Prussian, one brass M95 and the other an M15. I would certainly buy the lot.

Back