Helmet question

joerookery

weddingodd1.jpg

Today's oddity is wedding picture. I have seen this helmet frequently and I have heard two explanations of what it was used for. One is for police in the city of Berlin the other explanation is for a veterans group. So somebody tell me. Police uniform?
weddingodd2.jpg

Just as another point boy does this girl look happy to be married to him.
weddingodd3.jpg

Joe,
Whatever that helmet is, it does not go with that uniform. The guy is wearing a M 15 bluse from what appears to be a garde or grenadier regt. In addition it looks to be an officer version and he is a buck private. I would say it is a prop of the photo studio. I know this does not ID the helmet for you, but it is all I know. BTW he does not look too happy either!

Post 1918, Berlin was divided into policing districts each with a Police Regt. Each had a different elaborate cypher on the front, topped with a crown and flanked by the these long Bandeau. They are quite distinctive, and different from the wavy "W" Wappen of the Preußen königlichen Polizeiverwaltung in den Provinzen. I only have a photo of the 4th Berlin Police regt with a slightly different center cypher. This appears to one of the other 3 Berlin Police regts?

I would have to disagree that this is a studio Prop. Being in the military, there is just no way a soldier would be photographed in a studio with a helmet that was not his own. It's like me getting my photo taken holding an Infantry Beret. Not going to happen. Post war, the Reichswehr and Police and everyone else it seems used M1915 Bluse pattern uniforms. I am going to vote that although this looks like a Grenadier Regt, it is actually Berlin Police, and that they just share common characteristics such as a cypher on the strap and Litzen on the collar.

I tend to agree with Tony, but I would still like to see a photo of Tony in an Infantry beret.
Gus

Back