Helmet Repairs - Plugging Holes

kaiserzeit

G'day All!

I haven't made myself a target in at least a week - about time I dodged a bit of flak:

In another thread we had talk of plugging unwanted holes in 'haubes:

zipperheads9 said:
It also has another set of pushed holes in it ( another learning project,)

I have been experimenting and "developed" (not quite the right word but it will do - no such thing as a new idea) a technique for plugging holes:

As always, the base assumption is that there is more to gain by fixing the helmet than by leaving it alone and you're going to do it yourself rather than have Brian fix it professionally.

1. Stuff you'll need: Leather slightly thicker than the gauge of the helmet's leather, hole-cutters in a range of sizes, basin of warm water, hammer and curved anvil, "Chair Doctor" glue (or equivalent - see below), black leather dye.

Chair Doctor glue is a specialized furniture repair glue available from Lee Valley Tools:

www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30261&cat=1,110

2. Technique:

a) With a hole-cutter slightly larger than the hole in the helmet, re-cut the hole in the helmet to a nice neat round.

b) Make a plug for your re-cut hole one size larger than the hole you cut in the helmet.

c) Soak the plug in warm water until it is soft and pliable - goes almost like chewing gum.

d) When it is good and pliable, roll it between your thumb and for-finger until it is an elongated cylinder.

e) Carefully ease it into the hole in the helmet and squeeze the ends of the cylinder so it expands against the walls of the hole.

f) As the plug dries, keep pressing the ends of the cylinder so it expands against the walls of the hole.

g) When it is almost completely dry, you will have to hammer it (the "other" side of the helmet will need appropriate support - the anvil) so that the plug expands and spreads to conform with the surface of the helmet.

h) On the "back" side of the plug, when it is completely dry, inject a small amount of the Chair Doctor glue into the area between the plug and the main helmet body. Hammer or press the plug one last time.

The glue will fill the pores in the leather, causing it to swell and hold the plug firmly in place.

i) Re-colour the repair area with black leather dye and allow to dry thoroughly.

j) Polish over the repaired area with a few coats of boot polish and you're done.

The above is one man's approach. Please don't treat it as Gospel just yet, I may have missed someting. Please examine the process, if you perceive any weaknesses, please raise them so we can all benefit.

Many thanks,

Laurie

Hi LAurie:
My method is some what simpler. Use a round file, like those used to sharpen chain saws. Insert into hole in shell and file the edges to smooth them out or enlarge the hole a bit. I cut out the circular plug using a leather punch which has various sized cutters on it. I also have a set of hollow leather punches which I use to make plugs for larger holes. I then apply white glue or contact cement to the edges of plug and shell. I glue the plug into position and allow to dry. I have seen original repairs of this type. The original leather workers would glue a small circular patch made of thin leather to the inside of the shell over the plug.
Apply shoe polish to fill in around the plug. Brian

Hi Brian,

The voice of experience. As always, your approach is elegant and easy to follow. Many thanks

Cheers,

Laurie

No problem Laurie. I also use plugs cut from original scrapper shells so never throw anything out my friends!! One last "original" repair that I have seen in my collector travels are black, flat headed split brads which were used to fill in extra wappen holes in the front of a helmet. This was an easy solution as the hole is filled immediately by just inserting the brad and bending back the prongs on the inside. Brian

Back