Helmet stars

mravery

Hello all,

Quick question........When did the split prong stars come into use vs the screw posts ...... ?

what is the earliest that anyone has seen the split prongs ?

Cheers
Mark

Mark: I have only seen stars with split brads on post 1897 configuration officer helmets. I believe they were produced concurrent with screw post stars. The difference is most likely just a quality/price of the helmet factor. Same for private purchase front plates with split brads as opposed to screw posts.

Reservist1

I had thought that the split brads were only war time production.... But I just picked up a General's helmet with what I would estiamte a 1900-1910 star (more flat than swollen) and it has the split pin stars.... :?

Now I'm sure that the stars could have been replaced.. but why would someone remove screw post stars and replace with split pin.. for a general's helmet ???

Dosen't make sense.. which is why I'm assuming that they are original....

Thoughts ???

Cheers
Mark

Mark: A general officers helmet would have been available in the same varying quality/price as any other officers helmet.

Reservist1

My experience backs up what R1 has already said. I do not believe that there was any set date in play here. It all depended upon such things as price and the manufacturer involved. I have a great private purchase pre war JR119 helme with officer liner,wappen and OR trichter. The wappen has split brads soldered to the back and not screw posts.
All of the split brad stars I have seen have been associated with mid war officer helmets. One last thing to add, is that there are manufacturers' variations in the OR's split brads as well. As soon as I have time, I will post some pics of 3 variations that I have in the collection.
Brian

Back