Help for identyfying an officer Dunkelblau Waffenrock !

meme32

Dear Members of the forum

I am still looking for an Officer Waffenrock to add in my collection.
I found that one below.
It has the shoulder loop for Retired Officers and this time it looks to have the button already sewn on the shoulder, so it would be ok for display with Epaulettes.
I like the Prusssian Major shoulder straps; but......after checking 3 times every page of the Didier Laine's book, I am afraid I am not able to identify properly that tunic.
A dunkelblau tunic with red Swedisch cuffs and gilded button....for me that tunic does not exist...

Any help any identifying and authenticating that tunic would be great !

Many thanks

Kind regards
IMG_6587.JPGIMG_6588.JPGIMG_6590.JPGIMG_6593.JPGPHOTOROOM_20210819_121440-W.pngPHOTOROOM_20210819_121442-W.pngPHOTOROOM_20210819_121459-W.pngPHOTOROOM_20210819_121521-W.pngPHOTOROOM_20210819_121538-W.pngPHOTOROOM_20210819_121546-W.png

Hello,

This kind of tunic do exist, and I believe it is quite rare. Dark blue Prussian style tunic with Swedish cuffs but no Litzen, pointed to a nonregimented officer (Nichtregimentierte Offizier). I don't have further information with me at the moment, so I hope someone else could help to explain this particular position, regarding who or why can be appointed as a nonregimented officer. I think they are officers of the army (Offizier von der Armee), retired officers but work in Invalidenhaus, or officers of technical institutions.

Best regards,
Jvpi

Last edited:
Yes, as jvpi states a retired officer. Called a verabschiedeten Offizier in the Police Service. US Officers of this nature were colloquially called "Retreads" in the US during WWII. However, those insignia that I have seen show the embroidered strap so a narrower shoulder board would be required.

There are different possibilities:
Clothing Office or
Technical institutes
I have attached 2 more pictures

Attachments

• DSCN4078.JPG
    DSCN4078.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN4079.JPG
    DSCN4079.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
The shoulder straps have a silver tressa over white
No cypher ; no number
IMO they are 1 Garde Regt zu Fuss
not correct for the uniform
but if you just want something there for display
Steve

Based on the white epaulettes I can say that it is the clothing office of the guard
Hi Reiner,
If I'm not wrong, the officers in clothing offices should have Brandenburg cuffs?
Regarding the uniform posted, I think the shoulder boards do not belong, it should be changed to a pair that actually matches.

You can complete this tunic with the correct epaulettes and accessories as described here. ;)

56082CE8-879D-49AF-9359-8CBA2DBA06C6.jpeg

Thanks a lot for sharing so much Information ! That forum is really a gold mine !
I will pass this uniform, I am more looking for a classic Officer Waffenrock for Infantry or Pionier.

so I hope someone else could help to explain this particular position, regarding who or why can be appointed as a nonregimented officer.

The term "non regimental officer" was applied to basically every commissioned officer who was not serving with a "front" regiment or independent battalion or equivalent sized unit. This would include among others; general staff officers, war ministry, technical institutes, Invalid houses, Feuerwerks and Zeugoffiziere etc.

Officers of the army (Offiziere von der Armee) was a term utilized for those officers awaiting a new appointment or those with an impending retirement, in both cases having relinquished their former established posts. These would continue to wear the uniform of their last position.

The "Armee-Uniform" was in reality a different proposition altogether. When officers, either active or of the "Beurlaubtenstandes" (Reserve/Landwehr) retired, they could be granted permission to further wear a uniform. Depending on the length of service of the officer concerned, this could be the uniform of his last regiment or that of a regiment he had previously served with. Those without sufficient time in service were, if they were still eligible for the permission to wear a uniform were granted the permission to wear the "army uniform". Similarly, retired Reserve and Landwehr officers were permitted to wear the uniform of their former regiments or the "Landwehr army uniform" depending on time served.

Regards
Glenn

I do agree it is very nice but as a first Offizier Waffenrcok I would prefer something more classic. The price is USD 870

Regards
Glenn
Hello Glenn,

Thank you very much for clearing that up! Before that I'm not really have a clear understanding about these positions, so I listed all the possibilities I can think of. The illustration page in "Das Deutsche Heer" always confuses me, I thought Nichtregimentierte Offizier do not include officers of general staff or war ministry etc.
However there's another confusion, which I just discovered. The "Armee-Uniform" should have white piping on the collar and cuffs etc according to the DDH illustration no.146, but it's not the case in the page that Reiner posted (no.145). I wonder what uniforms in the illustration no.145 are, they are just described as "Armee-Uniform". Perhaps they're for Offiziere von der Armee?

Last edited:
Maxwell,

the difference is between those officers originally from the dismounted branches - No white piping and those from the mounted branches - with white piping.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn,

Thank you! Now I see the difference, I missed the word "Fusstrupp". :eek:

Best regards,
Jvpi

Back