Help Identify Stalhelm

jsmith

I bought this M17 German Style Helmet off eBay. It looks like a WW1 German type Probably a 1930's civic helmet. Anyway it's Apple green, With undersized Liner rivet Holes, 2 Extra holes for the Chinstrap, indicating a leather liner ring. No washers on the Inside of the Helmet Vent Lugs. No raised edge around the outside. Looks folded like Hungarian WW2 Helmets, but no rear hanger. :-?
I wasn't able to ad pictures but, This was eBay auction # 110494841926

Peter_Suciu said:
I think it is probably an Austrian helmet, likely reissued after the war I think.

WW1 Austrian Helmets Had Larger Holes for the Liner Mounts & Chinstrap holes lower down on the flair, unless your talking about the so called "Hungarian Model" But then again they have a raised lip around it's edge, like the german M16 -18, and no hole for the liner in front of the vent lugs. This has a edge like a M35 German, But cruder like the WW2 Hungarian version of the M35, but does not have the rear hanger loop & has the 2 holes in front of the lugs, like a German helmet, not the Hungarian. I have seen some 30's model German civic helmets with the small liner rivet holes.

I'm only going on the one photo as the others seemed broken. Could it be some Hungarian reissued to Finland? The Finns used a lot of helmets and I've seen examples where they added the extra holes. Now I'm terribly confused.

Another helmet on eBay looks just like mine. Auction # 230441128533 It has the smaller holes etc.
I have another helmet that started out as a Austrian WW1, It was updated to Hungarian M38 pattern, by riveting up the Chinstrap holes, front liner holes. New holes for the mid placed chinstrap / liner holes, rear loop added & WW2 air vent gromlets replacing the old Frankenstein vents.

Back