Help identifying Epaulettes

Arran

Hi Folks,
I have these mystery epaulettes I'm hoping to identify. Similar to German ones, with a dark blue backing, gilt mounts, and a pale yellow field. Each originally bore three stars. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Arran.

evbbl3.jpg

The lightning bolts are typical of a Versuchskompanie. A direct translation would be "Experimental Company", but apparently the term was used for newer formed units like Motor Transport. If you look at this website you will see a set of epaulets for a motorized Versuchskompanie:
http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/CT0W.php
Since these have what appears to be an exploding bomb in the center of the lightning bolts, perhaps it's for an Ordnance Versuchskompanie.
If you look farther down on the list shown in the website there is a shoulder board with almost the exact lightning bolt image shown on yours and it is labeled for a Telegraph Abteilung.
Just a thought, hope it helps.

John :)

Hi John,
Thanks for your efforts! I'm pretty positive the epaulettes are not German. The symbol on them is referred to as "Jupiter's Thunder Bolt", and appears in a military insignia context in a number of nations, although not always with the same significance. I'm hoping the nation from which these originate can be determined by the gilt metal trim (where tresse would be on a German epaulette) and stars, and lack of a use of button...

Back