Help Identifying Officer shoulder boards

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Posting this for Jim T.

I recently bought the following officer shoulder boards at the OVMS show in Wilmington. The red stripe is very prominent, but there is also a feint yellow stripe next to it. At first I only saw the red stripe and assumed that they were for Hesse, but when I got them home, and with the help of Steve McFarland, I discovered the yellow stripe. Thus they are not for Hesse. Can anyone help me identify these boards?”
Thanks for any help you can provide

thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, is the other stripe definitely yellow or perhaps a white stripe that has turned after all these years.

Another possibility though I have no document confirmation... These are 1866 pattern shoulder boards. Could the flecking (stripes) of yellow and red indicate the Duchy of Baden prior to their Militarkonvention zwischen dem Norddeutschen Bunde und Baden (absorption by Prussia) on 25 November 25 1870? After that date Baden regiments began to wear the black/white flecking of Prussia. I don't have any confirmation of this but just an idea.

Mike

Quite possible ?
We still need to understand the strap with the crown .
Given that they might be early Baden straps ,
then the one with the crown
should be the GR 109 but it does not have the special silver
tressa around the borders of the straps .
So could it be before the 109 had the silver tressa ?
or the strap of an Adjutant /
Maybe a question for Glennj ?
Steve McFarland

Nothing that I have read so far would confirm that the Baden contingent wore anything other than pure Prussian pattern shoulder boards after they were introduced in 1867. The regimental histories just state that the officers wore shoulder boards of the Prussian pattern.

Regards
Glenn

I would be surprised if they were military. In Imperial Germany, everyone wore a uniform. Rat inspector, ladder-maker, lamp-lighter, you name it. They could be anything government connected.

Back