help please ! Felt pickelhaube..

tony v

Hifelt1.jpgfelt2.jpgfelt3.jpgfelt4.jpgfelt5.jpgfelt6.jpgfelt7.jpgfelt8.jpgfelt10.jpg

Reaching out for some guidance on this one, not sure as to it's authenticity.

I have to admit I am struggling to decide, help and guidance would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Its stamped on the rear underside BAG 1915 and GGR4 9K. Eagle on front is for Grenadier Regiment but not Guards...did read somewhere that they were marked GGR anyway but I'm not sure if I made that up now !

No brass plate fictures, just puncture marks for the eagle application, cockades strap and brass work look ok to me but............they are difficult to pin down in my experience.

Still burning from the 1970's fake I bought back in 1992 and don't want to repeat history.

Advice appreciated.

worried of Kent. cheers Tony

Last edited:
Looks good to me.
But like always it is hard to tell from pics.
Believe it or not one of the easiest ways to tell if a felt is original is to smell it.
If it smells old and dusty it is usually authentic.
If it smells like chemicals or has no smell at all it is usually fake.

Looks great to me Tony. I would love to have that piece in my collection. Congratulations .(y)

IMO it's a Grenadier eagle
NOT a Garde Grenadier eagle
front plate don't match the Kammer stamp
Steve

Yes, it all comes down to the cross guard on the sword. Square or “S” shape as we see here. The Garde eagle carries a square cross guard for lack of a better description while the Grenadier has the S guard.

Yes, it all comes down to the cross guard on the sword. Square or “S” shape as we see here. The Garde eagle carries a square cross guard for lack of a better description while the Grenadier has the S guard.
Right, Brian and, even more obvious, the Grenadier eagle does not bear the Suum Cuique Garde emblem.

Dear colleagues, my opinion is that the felt helmet itself is a fake. It's hard for me to explain, but trust my experience, I myself have made hundreds of felt helmets and I see some differences from the originals. Perhaps of course I'm wrong, but it's better to make a mistake and not buy than to buy a fake

Back