Help required

H: Coloured putty may have been put there but the only sure way to check things out is to take off the plate, look at the shell beneath and examine the soldered loops to see if they have been moved. This small hook arrangement on the inside between the plate loops is also weird. They look like an old bungee cords?? Original wappen/plates are held on by leather wedges put through those loops. If you want to check out what original soldered loops look like, check out our wappen section here on the forum. A support for your delicate liner is a good idea, most of us support our helmets in order to take the weight off of the visors. Leaving the helmet weight on the visors causes the thread to rot and break over time.

I have removed the wappen for your perusal and judgment on whether you guys think that it has been re soldered,
Also I have inspected the interior holes and what looked to be putty was just wear from it being attached. So it appears unmolested.
Cheers kirstin 👍

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24
Hi Kirstin,
The Wappen looks fine and original to me, I don't see any signs of resoldering.
The slits for the Wappen remain a mystery to me, as well as the unusual "cracking" of the black lacquer, and the unusual location for the unit marking.
My advice is to take your time and find out what exactly you have before you make any changes; wouldn't be the first time that a helmet doesn't seem to conform with the regulations and parts were changed out, only to find out later that it was all original after all.
Regards,
Lars

Hi Kirstin,
The Wappen looks fine and original to me, I don't see any signs of resoldering.
The slits for the Wappen remain a mystery to me, as well as the unusual "cracking" of the black lacquer, and the unusual location for the unit marking.
My advice is to take your time and find out what exactly you have before you make any changes; wouldn't be the first time that a helmet doesn't seem to conform with the regulations and parts were changed out, only to find out later that it was all original after all.
Regards,
Lars
Thanks Lars for your advice ❤️

I have removed the wappen for your perusal and judgment on whether you guys think that it has been re soldered,
Also I have inspected the interior holes and what looked to be putty was just wear from it being attached. So it appears unmolested.
Cheers kirstin 👍
The Prussian Infantry Regiments start with I R 13
because the firsts units are Garde Infantry
then Grenadier Regts 1 thru 12
Steve

Krist,
Welcome to the forum, and fantastic detailed and clear photos of your first pickelhaube. The pictures have helped the experienced members to provide you useful insights. My only recommendation is to place your helmet on something that will keep the helmet from resting on the visors, that will prevent damage to it.
Best regards,
John

Krist,
Welcome to the forum, and fantastic detailed and clear photos of your first pickelhaube. The pictures have helped the experienced members to provide you useful insights. My only recommendation is to place your helmet on something that will keep the helmet from resting on the visors, that will prevent damage to it.
Best regards,
John
Hi and thank you for the welcome 👍
My plan is to display this with some foam support for the liner on a wooden stand 😀

Krist
That sounds like a good plan, but I would recommend placing cotton linen between the helmet and the styrofoam form. The chemical on the form could damage the 126 year old leather.
Best regards
John

Krist
That sounds like a good plan, but I would recommend placing cotton linen between the helmet and the styrofoam form. The chemical on the form could damage the 126 year old leather.
Best regards
John
I was planning on using the sort of foam that goes into sofas and such like, plus like you mentioned I thought about adding an additional cotton lining for that very reason 👍

Back