Help with 1916 ID

hatleyj

I have been having this 1916 stahlhelm for a few months now and can not make out the makers code. It is lightly stamped and looks like a capital L followed by a lower case j or t. The L could also be a capital I with a period next to it. The letters are followed by I believe 86. Stamped in the dome is R1159. I can not read the writing in the interior rear of the helmet, which appears to be in pencil. I know the photos are horrible, but it has no dents. I wish the liner was still with it.

I believe what you are reading as 86 is actually a 66 which is the size of the shell. The side lugs are in keeping with this size. There is no listing of a maker of this size model 1916 helmet whose mark starts with an L nor an I. I would guess that the actual stamping is ET, for Eisenhüttenwerk Thale, Thale/Harz. So that it is just a poorly struck ET66. Try taking a rubbing and see if you can't get a better reading.

The number stamped in the top of the shell is the heat treating batch identification.

For faint markings use chalk or cigarette ash example ebay helm,,, ruined imo. even if the finish may or not be original.

Regards
Eric

Back