Help with correct I D on this pair D R 4 ?

KAGGR#1

Hello to all
I need help with this pair
I just bought them
I had hoped that they were / are Dragoon Regt 4
I could not come up with any other combination
but the metal moons should be silver ?
Anyone have any ideas ?
Thanks
Steve

1664486125284.png

Maybe Landwehr?
„The shoulder straps of the Prussian Landwehr infantry regiments reflected the color of the respective battalion (I. white, II. red, III. yellow) and often also carried the number of the regiment“
(Translation from: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landwehr_(Militär)#Preußen )
It is just a thought, because in the book Die Uniformen der deutschen Armee there is also an example of a Landwehr cavalry officer, with epaulettes with yellow field and golden halfmoon. But unfortunately there is no text for more information.

Last edited:
Maybe a nickel plating that has been polished off?

Steve, Sandy,

possible but note a retired officer wore the half moon in the opposite colour to those of active officers. So in all likelihood a Rittmeister z.D. or a.D. of DR 4 with permission to wear the uniform on retirement; "Bekleidungsvorschrift" 1899/1911, page 162, paragraph 163 b).

Landwehr-Kavallerie officers wore epaulettes with a field in the colour of the infantry regiments of the corps with the Arabic number of the corps in gold; see the "Bekleidungsvorschrift" 1899/1911, page 160. The 5, 6, 16 & 17 Corps wore yellow, hence no 4 on a yellow field.

Regards
Glenn

Last edited:
Steve, Sandy,

possible but note a retired officer wore the half moon in the opposite colour to those of active officers. So in all likelihood a Rittmeister z.D. or a.D. of DR 4 with permission to wear the uniform on retirement; "Bekleidungsvorschrift" 1899/1911, page 162, paragraph 163 b).

Landwehr-Kavallerie officers wore epaulettes with a field in the colour of the infantry regiments of the corps with the Arabic number of the corps in gold; see the "Bekleidungsvorschrift" 1899/1911, page 160. The 5, 6, 16 & 17 Corps wore yellow, hence no 4 on a yellow field.

Regards
Glenn
Glenn
Many thanks
I agree 100 % about the color of the 1/2 moon
however normally I see an extra Prussian black color line in the silver tressa ( tape )
I have a couple of pairs this way
I R 92 and a Wurttemberg I R 124
SteveI R 92 epaulettes.jpegMajor I R 124.JPG

Steve,

agreed. The extra line should be there by regulation. The Bekleidungsvorschrift does however further notes in a footnote that a z.D. officer who subsequently transferred to a.D. status could keep the half moons of a z.D. officer! I cannot think of your epaulettes belonging to any other unit than DR 4.

Regards
Glenn

Back