Help with IR120 shoulder boards

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to recreate WWI shoulder boards for IR120 but have not found a good image of the crown. Does anyone have a clear image that can be posted? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello,

Which pattern are you trying to replicate? The prewar crown is very different from the one on M1915 straps.

Chip

Chip,

Have you ever considered putting out a complete - or as close to a complete list as possible, of shoulder straps / boards / epaulettes? I know you have contributed to many many projects over the years and your name is synonymous with Imperial German uniforms, however, being relatively new comer to the game, I have identified a need for a shoulder-strap "ready-reckoner" or guide.

I think I have most of the reputable go-to references covered, incl. Kraus, a hot-key direct to Kaiser's Bunker, a membership to Pickelhaubes and I even sourced a copy of Marshall's tapes which I converted to DVD and yet I still sit here scratching my head at some of the monograms / cyphers presented to me on a daily basis thanks to my photo collecting.

Warm regards,

Brett

Brett,

I agree that there is a need for a reference on this subject. My collection has been largely geared toward that end. I have made a point of collecting type pieces, photos and postcards that would expand the knowledge of the subject.

I have spilled the beans on some of my "discoveries" through the various forums that I participate in, but I have kept certain information back in order to have some new material for a proposed book.

Most information on the regulation insignia worn on the uniforms of the WWI German army is well known. But as you say, this information is not well documented (at least in English) or assembled. To date, nothing has been written about the construction of these pieces and there is no photo reference to use for comparison and identification purposes.

I'm 62 years old and though I have been collecting information for decades, I hope to get down to some serious business when I retire. Right now, I am busier than I have ever been in my work, so it will be a while yet before I have the time to devote to it.

In the meantime, there may be some others that will scoop me and I have heard that there is such a book in the works by a German collector, but I still think when the time comes I will have something of interest to offer. Beside my collection, I will have access to the collections of many friends in the hobby and some of the largest shoulder strap collections in the States. It will be a collaborative effort, as it will have to be in order to cover such a varied subject.

Best regards,
Chip

Chip Minx said:
Brett,

I agree that there is a need for a reference on this subject. My collection has been largely geared toward that end. I have made a point of collecting type pieces, photos and postcards that would expand the knowledge of the subject.

I have spilled the beans on some of my "discoveries" through the various forums that I participate in, but I have kept certain information back in order to have some new material for a proposed book.

Most information on the regulation insignia worn on the uniforms of the WWI German army is well known. But as you say, this information is not well documented (at least in English) or assembled. To date, nothing has been written about the construction of these pieces and there is no photo reference to use for comparison and identification purposes.

I'm 62 years old and though I have been collecting information for decades, I hope to get down to some serious business when I retire. Right now, I am busier than I have ever been in my work, so it will be a while yet before I have the time to devote to it.

In the meantime, there may be some others that will scoop me and I have heard that there is such a book in the works by a German collector, but I still think when the time comes I will have something of interest to offer. Beside my collection, I will have access to the collections of many friends in the hobby and some of the largest shoulder strap collections in the States. It will be a collaborative effort, as it will have to be in order to cover such a varied subject.

Best regards,
Chip

Chip,

Thanks for the detailed response. I know your services are highly sought after and I appreciate you taking the time to call back.

By agreeing with me that you have identified a need for a reference on the subject, you have allayed my fears that I was missing an essential reference source, just wasn't getting it - or that am just a complete dullard. Still not certain on that last point. Maybe Johan's next book will give me something to work with until yours is ready. Speaking of which ...

I have done the math based on your stated age and the average age of retirement in the U.S. and have determined that I can expect your book on the shelves downunder 6 months ago :D

Warmest regards,

Brett

I agree Chip. You answer so many obscure questions that we could certainly use some of your nuggets. I will gladly buy a copy. And you will find that you are busier in retirement than you ever could have imagined. Seriously, Janet and I have no idea how we ever had time to work. In the meantime, keep those answers coming!

Hey Chip,
Joe is right, the only time that you will possibly find time to publish a book is before you retire, you had better get on it. anyone who in interested in German militaria should have a copy.
Best
gus

Back