Help with translation of Asian characters on a Kar71

cptbob

A few weeks ago I posted some photos of an 1871 cavalry carbine that I recently acquired. The carbine has a little mystery associated with it that maybe someone can help with. On one side of the stock there is a silver dragon and on the other side 4 Asian characters. Steve (seagull) was kind enough to provide the following (Thanks Steve!)

"Bob, the top three characters are not so difficult but I could not get the fourth (bottom) one. The top two say "Tianjin" or, in the old way "Tientsin", the third one is "Shun", meaning variously, "with/following/order/obey". I read mostly Japanese and these must be Chinese, so I could not ID the fourth one. In Japanese it is a combination of two radicals, the left side meaning "me/oneself" and the right side being an honorific. In Japanese this combination just doesn't exist. "

This suggests that either the rifle or a previous owner had been to Tientsin. Maybe someone could help complete the translation and shed some light on what it could mean. Thanks!!

kar71_8.jpgkar71_7.jpg

天津順民(Tian Jin Shun Min)
“Shun Min” probably indicated the place in Tianjin (Tientsin) with the same name. Now there's a place called “顺民屯” in the city. I'm not sure if there were German barracks 100+ years ago, hopefully somebody with references could run checks. Or it could just be a shop or small business's name.

天津順民(Tian Jin Shun Min)
“Shun Min” probably indicated the place in Tianjin (Tientsin) with the same name. Now there's a place called “顺民屯” in the city. I'm not sure if there were German barracks 100+ years ago, hopefully somebody with references could run checks. Or it could just be a shop or small business's name.
Thanks!!!

Back