Hessian DR. 24

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I am hoping my assessment is correct as I didn't have alot of photos to go off of and this was a bit of a rushed purchase. A friend of mine sent me photos of a hessian pickelhaube with silver fittings and after doing some quick research I believe the silver fittings with no campaign scrolls above the hessian wappen would make this an enlisted man's 24th dragoons pickelhaube. There is no evidence of any other wappens or spike bases being attached at any point and has a clear 1915 issue date but no unit stamp so I was going solely off of the fittings. I am a fan of the matching silver hessian spike. What does everyone think?

IMG_20221013_142420_710.jpg

IMG_20221013_142425_532.jpg

IMG_20221013_142429_016.jpg

IMG_20221013_142433_134.jpg

IMG_20221013_142437_450.jpg

IMG_20221013_142443_866.jpg

You hit the Antique Mall jackpot Will. It looks like a real M95 Hessian enlisted Dragoon helmet, dated 1915.

Looks like the spike unscrews also.

A MN mall find from back home? It sort of looks like Cannon Falls when I was in there back in July.

Lol, you've got me a little jealous, as I've been wanting one of these for many years, lol. Again, congratulations!

Best Wishes,

Alan

Good evening gentlemen,

I am hoping my assessment is correct as I didn't have alot of photos to go off of and this was a bit of a rushed purchase. A friend of mine sent me photos of a hessian pickelhaube with silver fittings and after doing some quick research I believe the silver fittings with no campaign scrolls above the hessian wappen would make this an enlisted man's 24th dragoons pickelhaube. There is no evidence of any other wappens or spike bases being attached at any point and has a clear 1915 issue date but no unit stamp so I was going solely off of the fittings. I am a fan of the matching silver hessian spike. What does everyone think?

View attachment 25747

View attachment 25748

View attachment 25749

View attachment 25750

View attachment 25751

View attachment 25752

Hi Will,
There is a dark line under the rear visor which is partially hidden as the visor is unsewn (picture #4). Might this be the box of a regiment marking?

You hit the Antique Mall jackpot Will. It looks like a real M95 Hessian enlisted Dragoon helmet, dated 1915.

Looks like the spike unscrews also.

A MN mall find from back home? It sort of looks like Cannon Falls when I was in there back in July.

Lol, you've got me a little jealous, as I've been wanting one of these for many years, lol. Again, congratulations!

Best Wishes,

Alan
Actually this was a find from an antique mall in Denver, a friend of mine who knows I like ww1 stuff said he found a "spike helmet" that I might be interested in and I was very very interested haha according to him its somehow been sitting in that shop for 3 years unnoticed.

Hi Will,
There is a dark line under the rear visor which is partially hidden as the visor is unsewn (picture #4). Might this be the box of a regiment marking?
It is possible, I'll give it a thorough look when I have it in hand.

Actually this was a find from an antique mall in Denver, a friend of mine who knows I like ww1 stuff said he found a "spike helmet" that I might be interested in and I was very very interested haha according to him its somehow been sitting in that shop for 3 years unnoticed.
Yes, good for you Will, congrats!

There's one in my home town that was brought back from WW2 by the current owner's aunt when she was serving with the Red Cross over in Germany right after the war. And another one is in a sleepy little museum here in my state. I can't buy either of them, unfortunately, they don't want to sell them. The adult kids of the one back home have fun putting the helmet on their head when they come home to visit their parents. He said I can buy it on the auction sale rack some day when he has an auction. (Lots of luck with that, lol). I've tried to buy it for 30+ years with no success. That one is eskadron marked, but not regiment marked, surprisingly. The one in the museum has nice dragoon issue markings on it, and dated ?1911 or ?1913, and has the silver removable chinscales on it. The only thing missing is the Hessen kokarde on it. It's a killer helmet.

As a side note, there was a gorgeous untouched 115th M95 enlisted sitting in a pawn shop in WI a number of years ago. The seller said it sat there for a long time, and then for some reason he decided to put in on eBay with a "buy-it-now" price of $1,000.00. I missed that one also the day it was sold.

Yes, good for you Will, congrats!

There's one in my home town that was brought back from WW2 by the current owner's aunt when she was serving with the Red Cross over in Germany right after the war. And another one is in a sleepy little museum here in my state. I can't buy either of them, unfortunately, they don't want to sell them. The adult kids of the one back home have fun putting the helmet on their head when they come home to visit their parents. He said I can buy it on the auction sale rack some day when he has an auction. (Lots of luck with that, lol). I've tried to buy it for 30+ years with no success. That one is eskadron marked, but not regiment marked, surprisingly. The one in the museum has nice dragoon issue markings on it, and dated ?1911 or ?1913, and has the silver removable chinscales on it. The only thing missing is the Hessen kokarde on it. It's a killer helmet.

As a side note, there was a gorgeous untouched 115th M95 enlisted sitting in a pawn shop in WI a number of years ago. The seller said it sat there for a long time, and then for some reason he decided to put in on eBay with a "buy-it-now" price of $1,000.00. I missed that one also the day it was sold.
Its always frustrating when things like that happen, I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding scales or a strap/ cockade for this one. But I guess you'll just have to keep your eyes open on for the auction when it comes up, I have taken to keeping a portion of my savings ser aside for when things like this come up.

Its always frustrating when things like that happen, I'm sure I'll have a hard time finding scales or a strap/ cockade for this one. But I guess you'll just have to keep your eyes open on for the auction when it comes up, I have taken to keeping a portion of my savings ser aside for when things like this come up.

I've been extremely fortunate the past year to turn up 2-enlisted leather chinstraps with neusilber fittings on them. First one was was on a badly damaged Pioneer helmet last December. The second one was found recently on a trashed, relic condition shell of a garde enlisted helmet that otherwise had very nice neusilber parts on it. Someone destroyed the helmet shell by slathering leather "preservative" on it many years ago. The straps were nice on both these helmets, surpisingly. So yes, they do turn up from time to time. The curved cavalry chinscales will be much harder to find, but never say never. One never knows what might turn up.

Reactions: USN
I've been extremely fortunate the past year to turn up 2-enlisted leather chinstraps with neusilber fittings on them. First one was was on a badly damaged Pioneer helmet last December. The second one was found recently on a trashed, relic condition shell of a garde enlisted helmet that otherwise had very nice neusilber parts on it. Someone destroyed the helmet shell by slathering leather "preservative" on it many years ago. The straps were nice on both these helmets, surpisingly. So yes, they do turn up from time to time. The curved cavalry chinscales will be much harder to find, but never say never. One never knows what might turn up.
I don't think I've ever come across a loose neusilber chinstrap, very lucky! Should you decide to let go of one of those straps id gladly take it off your hands.

The helmet finally arrived and unfortunately there is no unit stamp anywhere to be found but it does still have its 1915 manufacturer stamp. It came with a M15 chinstrap loop and Prussian cockade, an interesting note is the nail that appears to have been used to fix the loop on the front of the wappen. Looking at the hole with a magnifying glass there is a fair amount of dust and patina so the holes at least aren't brand new but its hard to say when they were put there. Also no extra holes on the shell which is a relief so this will be my first ever hessian helmet I am incredibly excited to have one of these.

20221020_151909.jpg

20221020_151932.jpg
20221020_152017.jpg

20221020_151540.jpg

20221020_151516.jpg

20221020_151534.jpg

The helmet finally arrived and unfortunately there is no unit stamp anywhere to be found but it does still have its 1915 manufacturer stamp. It came with a M15 chinstrap loop and Prussian cockade, an interesting note is the nail that appears to have been used to fix the loop on the front of the wappen. Looking at the hole with a magnifying glass there is a fair amount of dust and patina so the holes at least aren't brand new but its hard to say when they were put there. Also no extra holes on the shell which is a relief so this will be my first ever hessian helmet I am incredibly excited to have one of these.

View attachment 25904

View attachment 25905
View attachment 25903

View attachment 25902

View attachment 25900

View attachment 25901
A nice helmet to find
I like the Dragoon regiments
Steve

A nice helmet to find
I like the Dragoon regiments
Steve
This one doesn't quite fit my current project but it does fill a hole in my collection as I have been needing a hessian helmet the dragoon aspect is definitely a bonus though. Now I have one for each major state except Mecklenburg.

Would DR. 24 have worn brass or silver chinscales? I have seen some examples being sold with brass scales but have seen a few period paintings with them wearing silver scales.

Would DR. 24 have worn brass or silver chinscales? I have seen some examples being sold with brass scales but have seen a few period paintings with them wearing silver scales.
Will,

They wore silver, curved shaped mounted troops style chinscales.

Best Wishes,

Alan

I am definitely glad you posted it here as well, I think it looked great on the helmet. Now I am on the hunt for a comparable national cockade and some chinscales
Will, there is a nice one, comparable to your Hessian kokarde for sale now on French ebay. I do not know if its by the same seller though.
Although the sellers remarks about it seems the same.
The auction will end in 3 day's.

Regards, Coert.

Will, there is a nice one, comparable to your Hessian kokarde for sale now on French ebay. I do not know if its by the same seller though.
Although the sellers remarks about it seems the same.
The auction will end in 3 day's.

Regards, Coert.
I had spotted that one, I'm going to try for it and hopefully it doesn't go to high. The hessian cockade took up a good portion of my spending money for the month.

Back