Hessian Steel

joerookery

Thanks to a forum member heads up this went cheap! Thanks and so much for Stratman! Seen one of these lately? -- marked to IR118, April 1915.

hessian118stahlblech.jpg

hessian118stahlblech_1.jpg

Chip Minx said:
Those are some nasty looking cartridge pouches. This guy must have been the last in line. :D

Chip

Yes, what type are they? They looks home made to me.
Gus

Arggghh!!! You are lucky I did not see that one Joe. A great foto I wonder if anyone has one of these spun feldgrau helmets with the Hessen Wapen on it???? I have an excellent Prussiann version but would gladly trade someone (even trade) for their Hessen!! Brian

Gus,

Those pouches are pretty much in the same category as the helmet, that is, emergency substitute. And like the helmet, once the emergency (shortages of 1915) was over, so was the short lifespan of these pouches. As you can see, they did not hold up well. They were made from riveted pressed paperboard. You have probably seen the material before, as it was used to make carrying cases for many things. I have one such goggles case that looks like a single section from a M09 cartidge pouch. The gas goggles were carried in that pouch on the belt and used in conjunction with the special drivers gas mask.

I have seen and have pictures of other ammo pouches in various styles which were made from this material.

Chip

Hi Chip,
I have seen a lot of paper and cardboard erstaz pouches, but theey usually followed an established pattern, these do not follow any pattern I have seen.
Gus

Thanks Joe, They still look like a home made pattern, and they have had some use by the looks of the condition.
Gus

Gus,

Perhaps they are some sort of civilian hunting pouches. They do look to be warped in a way that might not be possible for wet paperboard. I will have to find my photo of a field baker, who is outfitted for the march. He is wearing a very similar pouch and some non-German rifle.

Chip

Hi Chip,
Here is a similar ammo pouch from the 1911 ALFA catalogue, it is not the same, but similar enough that it tells us that this was consistant with private purchase hunting pouches.
Gus
project10sj.jpg

Back