Hi from Australia

mikepegler

Hi everyone,
Please allow me to introduce myself: my name is Mike and I live in Perth, Western Australia.
I've been collecting helmets since I was about 16 years old, with the odd 30 year break to get married & bring up a family :) & have empty pockets :|, thrown in.
The kids have now grown up & no longer take up all my time and money \:D/

I got my hands on my first Pickelhaube about 6 months ago (my wife bought it for me, as a 50th birthday present). I've since bought another 2 and still want more.

looking forward to meeting you all on the forum & becoming a active member.

Once I've worked out how, I'll post some photos of my collection.

Cheers for now
Mike

Mike- welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your collection.

Great place to learn and share

James

Yet too bad he was Australia – if you lived in the USA you could join all of us for SOS and bring the wife! Or just join us without a wife but the airfare from Australia would choke a goat – we are planning a trip in 2015 and I think I have to sell both kidneys.

Hi Mike,

Welcome. I'm a fellow Aussie, in Melbourne. Good to have another Australian on the forum - enjoy, it's a goldmine of information here.

Cheers,

Bungo

I am starting to think that the Australians are like the Canadians. We will be in Brisbane on 22 January 2015. Mephisto is being moved. That is my one and only chance. I wrote the museum yesterday and hope to be able to get some sort of backstage pass to be able to see the tank. My wife always says timing is everything.

Joe

I hadn't a clue what your reference to Mephisto meant, so resorted to google. What an amazing beast!

Patrick

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/mephisto-coming-home-to-brisbane-20140312-34mmi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joerookery said:
I am starting to think that the Australians are like the Canadians. We will be in Brisbane on 22 January 2015. Mephisto is being moved. That is my one and only chance. I wrote the museum yesterday and hope to be able to get some sort of backstage pass to be able to see the tank. My wife always says timing is everything.

Joe, Mephisto is amazing, I've seen her once when I was in Brisbane and it is extraordinary. It is incredible that it ended up here, half a world away, as a trophy after the war. Apparently it sat outside in the sun and rain for decades, kids clambering over it, until Queensland realised what a treasure they had accidentally inherited!

Thanks! Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour some lemon juice in it? I have not heard back from the museum yet. I don't think Australia cares about me. Small fish in a big pond. I would even pay the admission fee. I understand they now have it wrapped in a see-through "bubble". That might be the final state of this relocation. Keep the types of you and me away from the real thing. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :greentank:

No one give me credit for knowing a little bit about thanks. Look at this World War I picture of telecommunications before radios!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/s526x395/1620545_10153858358830487_1536858225_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joerookery said:
Thanks! Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour some lemon juice in it? I have not heard back from the museum yet. I don't think Australia cares about me. Small fish in a big pond. I would even pay the admission fee. I understand they now have it wrapped in a see-through "bubble". That might be the final state of this relocation. Keep the types of you and me away from the real thing. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :greentank:

When I visited in 2006, it was in a sort of 1:1 scale diorama with a waist high glass fence around it. You could get to within about 2 metres of Mephisto.

And we definitely care about you Joe! If you make it to Melbourne, Pm me and we can have a beer together!

All,

Memphisto was just restored by the Army out at Gallipoli Barracks. It was damaged from years of sitting out in the tropical sun. I clambered around it once as a teenager. So cool. The German government recently sent reps who took full laser scans of the vehicle. An amazing example of Australian scrounging, it is amazing what we brought back from the war.

For anyone who gets the chance I recommend the Miles historical village. A few hours drive West of Brisbane. It is widely regarded as the best collection of militaria outside of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

Regards

Steve

skelts1974 said:
For anyone who gets the chance I recommend the Miles historical village. A few hours drive West of Brisbane. It is widely regarded as the best collection of militaria outside of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

I'd never even heard of it before. Do you have any links you can share about their collection? The official website is a little scarce on information about the museum.

Is it just a military museum, or a community museum? If military, what eras?

Back