His Latest Finds

MG1918

:-?
collector_zps7043ca08.jpg

I'm having a meeting at the Australian war Memorial later this year. Not only do they get these souvenirs they took home a tank!

Famous picture! I don't remember his name anymore but I read that he survived the war and served multiple tour of duties in Flanders. He died in the 50's in Austrialia and there is even a street named after him. Not surprisingly, the war had affected his mental state.

I will look for the proper reference and add it later :study:

Regards,

Edwin

Joe,

The tank in question is the Mephisto. It was supposed to be sent to the AWM, but when it arrived in Brisbane the State governor had it unloaded and dragged to the Queensland museum. He then petitioned the Prime Minister to keep it here based on the fact that it was captured by a Queensland battalion. The tank is currently on loan to the AWM in Canberra.

Interesting the AIF stole it a second time. At the end of the war the British government claimed it, but the AIF stole it and had it shipped to Australia before the British could get their hands on it.

When it comes down to it we are a nation of theiving bastards! Oh and the previous photo is one of the most iconic pictures of the AIF from WW1 in my view.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

We are headed to New Zealand and Australia later this year. We were all set to go to the museum in Brisbane when we discovered that the tank was in Canberra. We have been invited to a meeting at the Australian war Memorial in Canberra. We intend to fly there and return to the coast. The good news is they are going to take us around the displays and will finally get to see that tank! Sort of a bucket list thing. Last year the tank was actually on a traveling roadshow from the museum in Brisbane. Two things I can say about Australia – it is expensive and very welcoming. They tried to arrange a talk at the Memorial but the theater was booked when we will actually be available. I have heard so many good things about the Australian war Memorial now we will get to see it!

I found John Hines at;
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correct !!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hines_(Australian_soldier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Joe,

The AWM is amazing. I have been there numerous times with the army and as a civi. Each time is just as amazing as the first. I would kill to get into their storage area for a look-see!

Hope you enjoy the trip.

Steve

Back