How do I make sure a pickelhaube helmet is real

Godzilla

I found a very nice looking pickelhaube helmet at a flea market and I wanna see if its real next time I go (I didn't take any photos). It was a standard field one

I found a very nice looking pickelhaube helmet at a flea market and I wanna see if its real next time I go (I didn't take any photos). It was a standard field one
Next time you see it, take pictures, a lot, from different sides, and post them here. Pictures of both sides, the liner, from the front,(wappen),
and we will tell you all about it here. If there are any markings visible, take pictures of them. Post them too. We are all collectors here, and all very helpfull.

Regards, Coert.

Next time you see it, take pictures, a lot, from different sides, and post them here. Pictures of both sides, the liner, from the front,(wappen),
and we will tell you all about it here. If there are any markings visible, take pictures of them. Post them too. We are all collectors here, and all very helpfull.

Regards, Coert.
What are some things I can look for on the helmet that would seem without the help of you guys

Unfortunately it’s not possible to clarify if a helmet is real or not without photos. Collecting Pickelhaubes is a very challenging hobby. There are so many things you have to check and because of the high prices for real helmets there are many copycats on the market. If you want to proof it by your own I can recommend the website www.kaisersbunker.com. Tonys website is the best collector website I know, with a lot of helpful advices.

What are some things I can look for on the helmet that would seem without the help of you guys
Well, there are lots of things to check out. You can look at several topic's here on the forum, but there are more sites, were you can get a lot of info about them.
Tony's site for instance:
And Joe's site:
On Joe's site you can also find articles about fakes,

Be careful, there are many fakes around.

Regards, Coert.

Hears the one photo the guy sent

Attachments

• 7076.jpeg
    7076.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 27
From your lone photo, the helmet appears to be an original model 1895 Prussian infantry helmet with reproduction leather chin strap. However, before you even consider buying this you need photos of both sides, rear and interior. There may even be ink stamped markings on the interior of the rear visor which could ID the regiment that this helmet came from.

From your lone photo, the helmet appears to be an original model 1895 Prussian infantry helmet with reproduction leather chin strap. However, before you even consider buying this you need photos of both sides, rear and interior. There may even be ink stamped markings on the interior of the rear visor which could ID the regiment that this helmet came from.
I asked him for photos and this is the only one I sent

He send all the photos I want tomorrow
I am looking forward to seeing other pictures. To me, looking at this one photo it looks fine, apart from the chinstrap, but these are usually missing.
Also, the spike support-disc seems to be on the outside, where it shouldn't be, but maybe I am wrong. This spike support-disc should be on the inside of the helmet. But to me, it looks like a nice M95 helmet so far. Enlisted ranks, so for the common infantry man. Also known as Other ranks.

Regards, Coert.

I am looking forward to seeing other pictures. To me, looking at this one photo it looks fine, apart from the chinstrap, but these are usually missing.
Also, the spike support-disc seems to be on the outside, where it shouldn't be, but maybe I am wrong. This spike support-disc should be on the inside of the helmet. But to me, it looks like a nice M95 helmet so far. Enlisted ranks, so for the common infantry man. Also known as Other ranks.

Regards, Coert.
For some reason the disk mounted under the spike is a common occurrence.
Not correct but was done quite often.
I agree with the others more pictures are needed

Just got the last photos

Attachments

• 7126.jpeg
    7126.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 7128.jpeg
    7128.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7130.jpeg
    7130.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 7124.jpeg
    7124.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 24
I would never buy it if all I had was a single photo and looking at it in dim light

Just got the last photos
It looks good to me! A bit tired, but all okay, apart from the repro chinstrap. IR176 was a Prussian regiment, so the wappen is correct too for this helmet. Only one of the spike brads is an M15 one, these should all be in brass, not grey, which is the one not correct. If the price is good, I'd buy it.
West preussisches IR 176 was based in Thorn.

Regards, Coert.

That is a good honest helmet , cockades look to be reproductions to me but again it is very common for these and the leather chin strap to have been replaced. The cockades are also correctly placed on the side posts...black and white above the soldier’s left ear. These are the Prussian colours which matches with the helmet plate and the JR 176 markings. JR or IR = IInfantry Regiment.

That is a good honest helmet , cockades look to be reproductions to me but again it is very common for these and the leather chin strap to have been replaced. The cockades are also correctly placed on the side posts...black and white above the soldier’s left ear. These are the Prussian colours which matches with the helmet plate and the JR 176 markings. JR or IR = IInfantry Regiment.
You definitely know better then me what do the different colored cockades mean?

The black and white cockade is the State cockade of Prussia and the other black, white, red are the colours of the German Empire. The State cockade is always worn above the left ear and the colours vary with different states. A Bavarian helmet would have the Bavarian helmet plate and a blue and white State cockade.

Back