How should I clean these chinscales?

Louis

Hello! I recently came across this pair of chinscales and was wondering how to clean them, or even if I should leave them as is. Any help is appreciated!
Here is the picture,

Attachments

• IMG-0229.jpg
    IMG-0229.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Well Louis, if I were asked to clean them, I would use a wet Q tip, Hagerty Silver Foam cleaner and carefully clean every scale. Obviously, you want to keep water away from the leather parts of the scale. For the rosettes, a soft tooth brush, water and again HSF cleaner. We constantly get into this discussion here, "of to clean or not to clean" fittings...you own it you decide. However, any cleaning of oxidization should be done very carefully.

Personally, I would also leave them as they are. They look good and have a nice patina.
But if you want to clean the metal parts anyway, mix fine chalk and alcohol to a pulp. Clean the metal parts very gently and not too tightly with a Q-Tip and this pulp. Take care that the leather doesn‘t come in contact with it. After the alcohol has evaporated, the chalk can carefully wiped be off with a soft paintbrush or soft brush.

Actually, after a closer look, I would say those scales are hand made reproductions made from thin sheet brass. Some of the scales do not have the proper shape.

Back