HR17 (Braunschweig) Group Photo

cptbob

Hi all. Appears to be mostly Gefreiters. The Trumpeter in the middle appears to be an NCO. Can anyone provide a translation for the caption? Google translate seems to fail miserably. If anyone would like a higher res copy PM me with your email. Enjoy. Cheers!!

Scan2021-01-18_1758162.jpg

This is a great picture, that clearly shows the fluffy fur that covered most HR17 enlisted busbies, very different fron the sealskin encountered in other HRs.

Yes, Bob. Thank you very much.
Here is another one. Uncommonly, he wears a simple chinstrap on his busby.

husar.jpg

Question for folks...These guys appear to be wearing the black/white Prussian Feldabzeichen instead of the blue/yellow Braunschweiger type that I see mentioned in most references. (My understanding of black and white photos is limited but I think yellow shows up dark?). Did this Regiment wear both types of Feldabzeichen? Maybe there was a date that the convention changed? If anyone can provide any insight into this I would greatly appreciate it! Cheers!

cptbob said:
Question for folks...These guys appear to be wearing the black/white Prussian Feldabzeichen instead of the blue/yellow Braunschweiger type that I see mentioned in most references. (My understanding of black and white photos is limited but I think yellow shows up dark?). Did this Regiment wear both types of Feldabzeichen? Maybe there was a date that the convention changed? If anyone can provide any insight into this I would greatly appreciate it! Cheers!

You are absolutely correct, Bob. Well spotted! In 1886, all Braunschweig troops were integrated in the Prussian army. One consequence was that HR17 adopted the Prussian black and white Feldzeichen (which had been blue/yellow since at least 1846). It is only in 1897 that HR17 recovered the blue/yellow Feldzeichen...

Both great photos !
I have not ever seen other than wartime Husaren wear leather chin straps
I think Tony will like these photos
Steve

Both great photos !
I have not ever seen other than wartime Husaren wear leather chin straps
I think Tony will like these photos
Steve
You are correct, Steve. Another big surprise is that he wears no Feldzeichen on his busby! Larcade mentioned several times in his books that on these private portraits, the helmet was often an accessory provided by the photographer. You can imagine a Foto Atelier in Danzig in 1900 with twenty Leib Husar busbies sitting on a shelf...

Back