I love eBay!

Arran

One of my better scores on eBay (although not the best!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Prussian-Calvalry-Helmet-GKR-Garde-Kurassier-Regiment-19th-C-Gold-/111646716116?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=lqh5ZIYpXRmu1QRRoElyPtZ2J7o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_119wt_1001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ugmmb.jpg

2ziwow4.jpg

15fj8k1.jpg

I saw that and am glad somebody from the forum got it! I have a question. I've never seen one with the rear 'spine' as a separate piece (probably something everybody else knows about... ). Is that how it is, or is the photo reflecting the backdrop?
When you get it, could you post photos of any markings?

:D Ron

I believe it is separately attached, and I have seen this technique before, but I can't remember where I've seen it. I'll have to go through my old auction catalogues. I got a very similar one last year, albeit with a plate, and sent it to Cameron Laughlin for restoration- this one I think I'll attempt it myself.

Arran said:
I believe it is separately attached, and I have seen this technique before, but I can't remember where I've seen it. I'll have to go through my old auction catalogues. I got a very similar one last year, albeit with a plate, and sent it to Cameron Laughlin for restoration- this one I think I'll attempt it myself.

All right! Another new one for me. Anyway, I'm interested to know how the tombak 'works' when you remove the dents, if it's brittle or easy to work. What are your thoughts on the holes in the visor?

Congrats, on a great deal! Going to be difficult to find the proper wappen though. By the profile that is an older model.

Thanks for the interest, guys! I think with the visor holes (for hanging on a wall?) I'll make two small tombac plugs to fill them. I already have located a (standard) plate, and I fortunately had a large early Prussian cockade in my parts box. I believe this helmet started its life in the 1840's and has been modified over the years up into the 1860's. Ideally, I'd like a plate that has had the "Mitt Gott" bandeau pieces applied separately, but these early transitional plates are very hard to find...

Arran said:
Thanks for the interest, guys! I think with the visor holes (for hanging on a wall?) I'll make two small tombac plugs to fill them. I already have located a (standard) plate, and I fortunately had a large early Prussian cockade in my parts box. I believe this helmet started its life in the 1840's and has been modified over the years up into the 1860's. Ideally, I'd like a plate that has had the "Mitt Gott" bandeau pieces applied separately, but these early transitional plates are very hard to find...

Yes, that's what I would do with the holes as well. It looks like a FUN project!

Back