III. See battalion

Wyliecoyote

3821586384_ff881507ab.jpg

I have a photo I am hoping to identify and could use some help. The photo is identified as " In front of the Gate of the Name of the German Legation in Peking." ( Vor dem Thor des Namens der deutschen Gesandschaft in Peking).

What is not identified is the unit in the photo. I am thinking that they are from the III. See Battalion that was sent to China in 1897. I am unable to get a good zoom, as the photo was taken from an old book, resolution leaves much to be desired in this case. What you see is as good as it gets.

I used Johan Somers' book Imperial German Field Uniforms and Equipment 1907-1918 Volume 3. THe shoulder boards in the photo appear to resemble See Battalion type. Sadly the photo is not clear enough to allow a good I.D.

By any chance does any one have a photo of See Battalion shoulder boards they would be willing to post?

Thanks!

Geo

It's hard to tell, but those look like See Battalion shoulderboards. They had crossed anchors with the imperial crown above and a Roman numeral for the battalion beneath the anchors, which would probably be impossible to see, even if this were a good, sharp photo.

scan0001hwd.jpg

Back