Imperial German Medal and Order Ribbons

kaiserzeit

G'day Everyone!

I have been able to locate a manufacturer who will make silk ribbons for me in the old style, all widths from 1 cm. to 10 cm.

My question for you is which ribbons would you like to see first?

Perish the thought I should state the obvious but I am going to do trial runs of 1813, 1870 and 1918 Iron Cross Second Class, all three types.

Please give me your input and I will do my best to broaden my offering to the collecting community.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Kind regards,

Laurie Thomson

Gentlemen!

I find this lack of response to my posting more than a little disheartening.

I suspect that nearly everyone on this forum would fall into one of these two groups:

a) Have medals without ribbons in a drawer which they are not displaying.
or
b) Has declined to purchase a good piece because it didn't have a ribbon.

If you are concerned about the onsale of pieces with my new old-style ribbons on them, I think I have that covered: I will be marking any ribbon I sell with UV dye.

Given the above, I do hope that some of you will do me the courtesy of responding to my original posting.

I value your input and want to receive it.

Kind regards,

Laurie Thomson

Hey Laurie,
Only a few medals in my collection-Iron crosses WW1 & WW11-1st & 2nd classes. When I first started collecting 20+ years ago thats all I wanted. Reproductions (many made on original dyes) in my opinion have hurt the values and collectors are scared to dump big money into the rarer pieces-Amazingly enough there are original German WW1/WW11 medals that can be purchased for $25 or less.Quality replacement ribbons are always welcomed by medal collectors!-King Weasel

Hi Laurie:

I missed your original post until today. At the MAX and SOS I have seen reproduction ribbon bars that are personality oriented, i.e. Rommel, von Richtofen, the Kaiser, etc. I think there could be a strong interest in producing tribute bars representing the German aces.

Does your contact have access to the various miniature clasps that appear on bars (wreaths, swords, crowns)?

Chas.

Thank you, guys, for pitching in.

I hesitate to enter the post-1933 market. I used to collect that stuff but between getting done over with repros and a certain ethical discomfort with even thinking about that era, I probably won't go there. I suspect I'll hang my hat on the pre-1918 era.

Charles, as to ribbon bars and hardware, I'm still mulling that one over. If my UV dye trick works, I will probably head in that direction but I hesitate to make it too easy for the copy sellers to do numbers on the collecting community.

Thanks again.

If any of you can suggest specific ribbons that you'd like to be able to acquire, please let me know.

Cheers,

Laurie

I haven't gotten around to collecting any Imperial Medals, not from lack of desire, but from waryiness. All decorations & medals I have collected were during the '70's.
Are there any good references for identifiying Imperial Repro's ? Back then you were able to find more credible Vet's who were selling off or even giving away souvineers.

Geo

Hello!

Your question is a good one.

I am not aware of any single publication which covers Imperial repros in any depth. Some of the better sources are OMSA publications and a few journals out of Germany. Joerg Nimmergut has put together some of the best references on Imperial material. Old copies of "Kaiserzeit" magazine are another possibility.

You might like to check some of the essays on Andreas Ising's website:

http://www.medalnet.net/

Also, Dave Danner has put together a very informative site:

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/states.htm

As always, active participation in this forum and the other Imperial-related forums on the net is very worthwhile.

Good luck. I hope you do venture into Imperial material, it is really interesting and the era is fascinating to learn more about.

Cheers,

Laurie

Back