Imperial German Overcoat

ebeeby

Well I found one I could afford and jumped on it. I need your comments. This looks correct to me but.
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/ebeeby2010/WWI/P9180001.jpg?t=1284841621

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/ebeeby2010/WWI/P9180004.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/ebeeby2010/WWI/P9180003.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy162/ebeeby2010/WWI/P9180002.jpg?t=1284842245

By the way, I tried the IMG BBcodes and couldn't get that to work. What are the right conventions for actually attaching a photo to a post on this forum?
Thanks,
Eric

Sorry Ebeey,
Been busy.
This looks like a nice M1915 Mantel, it has the correct M15 buttons, but the one thing I am not seeing is the Bekleidungs Amt markings that should be on the liner, although that does not worry me too much, the size markings look to be correct, but the darker markings above the size markings look to me like they could be a costume house marking.
Best
Gus

Do a "quote" and you will see the code of this posting and how the img tags go on either side of your image link.

P9180004.jpg

Gustaf said:
Sorry Ebeey,
Been busy.
This looks like a nice M1915 Mantel, it has the correct M15 buttons, but the one thing I am not seeing is the Bekleidungs Amt markings that should be on the liner, although that does not worry me too much, the size markings look to be correct, but the darker markings above the size markings look to me like they could be a costume house marking.
Best
Gus

Thanks Gus - I thought I could make out a " B A something" under this wordy stamp?

P9180002.jpg

T&K - thanks too for the scoop on the IMG tags. My photos had some sort of extension after the JPEG extension that was causing the problem. Once I deleted that, the photo appeared.
Of course this means I can now go crazy with photos and this is, of course , your fault! :)

Thanks again
Eric

ebeeby said:
Of course this means I can now go crazy with photos and this is, of course , your fault! :)

Thanks again
Eric

We like to see photos, post away
Gus

Can anyone point me to a book or on-line resource that would specifically and with photos address shoulder boards which were worn on great coats? What were the conventions for even having a such insignia on the great coat? Officer and above? NCO and above?

Eric

Coming up on 3 weeks in a plastic hanging bag with moth balls in the attic. May have reached some greater than 110F temps in the attic to help out. When I hit the 3 week mark I'll have the local "heirloom" dry cleaner clean it. Then it should be ready for display. :)

ebeeby said:
Coming up on 3 weeks in a plastic hanging bag with moth balls in the attic. May have reached some greater than 110F temps in the attic to help out. When I hit the 3 week mark I'll have the local "heirloom" dry cleaner clean it. Then it should be ready for display. )

What? You are going to throw a jacket held together with 90+ year old weak 100% cotton thread into a machine, soak it in chemicals and then beat it around for 30 min? Don't be surprised if you get back a plastic bag of cloth and thread. I have seen it happen.

I agree with Tony, cleaning should only be done in the worst cases, and then you are better to use your bathtub with some mild detergent, like woolite, and be very carefull. The cleaning chemicals are not very friendly to old materials, and cleaners will not do anything to recover if the garment is distroyed.
Best
Gus

Well that's one way to get some thread participation! :)

Thanks for warning me off the cleaning. I was following the directions in the "sticky"

Now if I can just find a supplier of head and torso mannequins....
The only ones I've been able to find all have "life-like" faces which to me seem just a little creepy. I have seen ONE plain face head and torso mannequin (at my local vintage gun shop) but all the others are torso only. Maybe the "life-like" guys could make a plain face one for me? Still, it is interesting that there are so few...

I believe the non-BA black ink mark is a period manufacturer mark. I see "Berlin" and the start of the word "Genossenschaft". Nice coat!

Chip

Hey Chip,
Good to have you back, where have you been? Did you just get out of jail? I know you are a drug dealer.
Best
Gus

Actually, I'm laid up at home after a knee replacement and the Pickelhaube site is the only one I have on my work computer. I spend most of my time on the German Feldgrau site where I am a moderator.

It has been too long though, I agree. I forget that this site is not just about Pickelhauben, of which I don't consider myself a serious collector. We all only have so much free time and with so many good forums out there, you just have to settle on two or three. There are some great guys here that I don't see anywhere else, so it is good to visit now and then.

Chip

Gus,

Sure. It is a good site. Lots of nice stuff in the Databank, even if you don't speak German. There are lots of members, but a core group of about 250. All the big-time French, German and Belgian collectors are contributors. The French equivalent site is good too. They love the German militaria most, but you can see a lot of nice French stuff, which is relatively unknown here in the States.

http://feldgrau.pytalhost.com/vbulletin/

Chip

Back