Imperial group Prussian, Order of the Crown 4th class swords

nzef1940

Greetings all

I posted this grouping over on the WAF site, one German fellow in particular was implying the swords on this award were fake and a later add on. I totally disagree and took detailed photos and also took the piece to a manufacturing Jeweller who advised the swords were die struck and integral to the piece and not soldered on.

I accept it is not an awarded cross but a later private purchase.

It has a tiny maltese cross stamped on the ring, the jeweller spotted this under a 20x magnification.

He also gently cleaned the cross (see last image) as the sword handles had discoloured. It was cleaned via an electrical bath system that they use instead of abrassive mehtods.

The grouping is an indirect vet purhase

I would appreciate an opinion from members of this Forum.

cheers

Mike

waf2.jpg
[/img]

Hi Mike,

A very nice medal bar indeed.

Check the swords and see if they unscrew, as I believe they should. I can see from your photographs that they are not "integral" to the piece, but are indeed as they should be: able to be unscrewed from the center section, between the arms of the cross. Your fine photographs clearly show that the swords should be able to be unscrewed from their threaded recepticle holes between the arms of the cross.

I've seen an original neck order "with swords" class of the Red Eagle Order, and the swords unscrew/are removeable from between the arms of the cross.

All the Best,

Alan

Beautiful group. Does the order of the medals and the slant of the ribbons indicate that it was awarded to a Kaiserliche Marine individual? It looks to me like it was worn on a lapel, with the EK being the highest, and the rest in decending order. What are your thoughts?

Great bar, thanks for posting the photos.

I agree with Tschapka on it being a "Frackspange", worn sloped on the lapel in reverse order. Could be worn like that with some naval uniforms or for civilians and retired officers with a dinner jacket.

Cheers
Chris

Back